Fred x Reader // Knight in shining armour

A/N Okay so I sort of rushed this one but I think it's cute. I tried to make as unspecific as possible as I do with most reader one-shots but this character is muggle born and quite shy for the sake of story. Please point out any errors so I can improve my writing. And quick warning for some swearing. A/N

"Oi!" I kept walking, praying he wasn't talking to me. "Hey!" He ran up to me and pulled my shoulder turning me around. "What's up, Mudblood?"

The Slytherin smirked at me. A rage boiled up in me, I was used to that word by now but it never got easier to hear. I mumbled go away with a fury in my eyes but it seemed to egg him on further.

"What? Don't like being told what you are?" He said patronisingly. I bit my tongue but the fury never left my eyes as i stared him down. The Slytherin boy pushed my shoulder roughly. "Filthy mudblood." He spat out the last word. My fists clenched.

You're bigger than this, walk away.

And I went to but he grabbed me firmly by the wrist stopping me. Tears were forming in my eyes, not here. Things were made worse by the gaggle of students who had gathered to watch.

"Don't walk away-" but the rest of his menacing sentence was unfinished as I felt him let go of my wrist. I heard a loud girlish scream and saw that the Slytherin boy was now on the floor, he had been tackled by a tall boy with flaming red hair. They began to roll around on the floor, hitting each other.

I stood frozen in shock as everyone around me started to chant 'Fight!'. I finally came to my senses as the Slytherin punched the taller boy in the face and the boy retaliated by hitting back harder.

My brain finally caught up with the scene in front of me as I reached to pull, who I realised was, one of the Weasley twins off of the Slytherin. Snape had appeared just as I managed to pull him away.

"Mr Weasley." Snape announced in his drawled voice. He helped the Slytherin, who was sporting a heavily bleeding nose, to his feet. "50 points from Gryffindor for breaking Mr Flint's nose and causing a scene." He swept away with Flint in tow cradling his nose.

The twin scoffed and rubbed his bruised knuckle. He turned to face me and looked immediately concerned. "Are you okay (y/n)?" He put his hand on my shoulder and I nodded. It was Fred. I had been friends with them long enough to tell some differences between them such as their voices.

I looked closely at his face, a large swollen bruise was beginning to form around his left eye. I went to touch it and he flinched.

"Come on." I grabbed Fred's hand and walked with him to the girls bathroom on the second floor, one level down.

——

Moaning Myrtle greeted us with a giggle when we arrived in her bathroom. She began asking questions about Fred before I told her to go away. She sobbed for a brief moment about this before going into the U bend of the toilets.

Fred sat down, leaning against the wall as I conjured up some first aid equipment to help his injury. I knew I'd been quiet for a long time but I didn't know what to say. Fred sat there groaning a little at the pain.

I knelt down beside him and touched a cloth to his eye. He flinched again and it hurt to see him like this but then again it wasn't very often I saw him this vulnerable. He smiled up at me and I returned the smile, finally thinking of the words to say.

"Thank you for back there." I said sheepishly.

"No problem, that guys an arse. Had it coming to him." Fred laughed slightly. I looked into his warm brown eyes and he stared back into mine. A moment passed between us but I interrupted it by clearing my throat and going to dampen another cloth at the sink. I looked in the mirror at my blushing cheeks and swallowed thickly.

I wasn't good at this, sure I liked Fred in a definite more-than-friends way but I would never act on it. It would change everything between us and I liked things the way they were, mostly.

"Hey (y/n)." I was snapped out of my thoughts by his sweet voice. "Could you do whatever you were just doing to my eye. It felt nice." He smiled over at me and I obliged.

I dabbed at his eye again, the swelling beginning to lessen. There was that tension between us again as we met each other's eyes, I tried to look away but his eyes pulled me back in every time. Fuck it, it was now or never.

"Fred?" I said in a small nervous voice. He raised an eyebrow at me in response and encouraged me to go on. I swallowed again, gulping so loud I'm sure he heard it. "Um... well... there's something I've been meaning to tell you. For a while now actually." My hand kept touching the cloth to his eye, keeping me distracted.

Fred reached up and held my hand, stopping its movements. My breathing quickened in time with the fast pace of my heart. "I think I'm in love with you." It came out like word vomit, so fast I doubt he even heard me. I looked down at my hands which were fiddling with the cloth. I closed my eyes tightly. There was silence before I felt a finger lift my chin up.

I opened my eyes and Fred was smiling a warm smile at me, so much love in his eyes. His hand moved to my jaw and brought me closer towards his lips.

My heart was going to fall out of my chest at this rate.

I closed my eyes prepared for the feel of his lips but he stopped. My eyes snapped back open and he rested his forehead on mine, "I love you too." He smiled a large grin which I couldn't help but return. And just as he was about to pull away, my heart deflating at the idea he was just joking, he leant back in and kissed me hard on the lips. My eyes widened in surprise before I gave into the kiss. I kissed back, our lips fitting together perfectly.

It was passionate and perfect, everything I had wanted ever since I found out what amortentia smelt like to me and that it was the exact smell of Fred. Ever since I realised the coy smiles exchanged between us meant something more than joking. Ever since I realised I was in love with Fred Weasley.

We both pulled back for air after a while and the grins returned to our faces. "I love the element of surprise." He smirked at me and I laughed. I touched the cloth back to his eye but he shook his head.

"I have stuff that will clear that right up." He said dismissively. I looked at him in confusion. "Well with all the boxing telescopes we had, me and George took precautions when we tested them." I looked at him in more confusion and shock.

"Then why have I been sat here for 5 minutes and you never said anything!" I exclaimed. He smirked again.

"Honestly," he pulled me closer to him. "I just wanted you to be close enough so I could kiss you." He smiled and I knew he meant it as he pecked me on the lips. I laughed and hit him on the arm. He rubbed it jokingly before getting up and offering me his hand. I took it and we walked out of the bathroom, myrtle wolf-whistling after us.