17 Trap (3)

The other servants felt an uneasiness after hearing her words. Just a few days ago, many servants were punished for not abiding to protocols. Some were still in bed because they couldn't take a step!

Those servants had only been hit 50 times according to the rules but now, the Eldest Miss specifically chosed the number of times.

200 times was 4 times more than what the others received. The Eldest Miss might as well tell the guards to kill her on the spot!

Then they remembered the other part that she said. She wanted the maid to confess who ordered her.

So someone sent the maid to kidnap the Eldest Miss and bring her to them?

Some instantly thought of the Madam but wouldn't dare say it out loud. Besides, it could be one of the other concubines.

"Since the Eldest Miss has given her orders, take her away. As for you all...."

The handsome guard looked at the other servants. His face was serious yet dazzling as he indifferently warned,

"Not a word shall neither leak out this manor nor to the Master."

The servants all knew who he was and his position so of course they would listen. While the Master should be told of such matter, the Eldest Miss had told them not to inform him. Her words implied that she didn't want to trouble him with these matters so they wouldn't open their mouths.

The servants began to go back to what they were doing. Yuyan grabbed the Eldest Miss's hands and looked at her smiling.

"Did I do good?" She asked and Xingxie smiled under her veil.

"Of course, you were very brave." She replied and from her peripheral vision, she saw the guard who commanded the other guards standing by.

"You are?" Xingxie asked, turning to the tall guard.

"Pardon me for the rudeness. I am Wei." He politely bowed.

"Wei? Do you have a family name?" Wu Xingxie asked since it was common.

"No, I am an orphan." Wei answered her question and Wu Xingxie quickly regretted.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine." He assured her.

"Let me accompany you ladies back. It is getting dark." He added before Xingxie could say another word.

Maybe he was an orphan, her sympathetic side felt bad for asking. She accepted his offer but then glanced at the jade on his belt. He served in the military, so was he one of Master Wu's people?

Wu Xingxie tried not to think much about it as they walked back to her chambers.

The next day, Wu Xingxie went to the punishment yard to look at the maid from yesterday. The maid refused to confess even after the 200 strikes. As a result, Wu Xingxie knew the maid would be crippled if she wasn't given proper care.

Entering the yard, the guards greeted the Eldest Miss before taking her to the maid.

She was passed out, her legs bruised with green and black marks. The maid had dried up tears on her face because she had been crying and screaming but a cloth was put around her mouth so she wouldn't disturb the others.

"Wake her up." Xingxie ordered in a soft tone.
The two guards complied and proceeded to call the maid when Xingxie stopped them.

"Use that." She gestured to the buckets of water and the guards immediately understood.

Grabbing the buckets filled with cold water, they poured it on the maid, who instantly opened her eyes in shock.

"Did you sleep well?" Xingxie asked in a gentle voice.

The maid's face turned more green when her eyes fell upon Wu Xingxie's figure and she quickly looked down.

Standing before the maid, Xingxie moved her long yet delicate fingers under the maid's wet chin. With a swift movement, Xingxie forced the maid to look up at her.

"Suyin, you really amaze me."

Xingxie learned who the maid was from Concubine Xi just before she came here.
Suyin really came from a poor family and in order to gain favor, she flattered the Madam and Concubines. With her flattery, Madam Wu liked her and wanted to make use of her. She promised Suyin that if she successfully kidnapped the Eldest Miss and killed her, she would be rewarded greatly. The reason Suyin was willing to do anything was to help her family who were not financially stable.

After hearing this, Wu Xingxie decided to help Suyin. For people who valued family, she had great respect and admiration for them. In a way, they were similar in that they both tried to protect those who were dear to them, even if it meant using unscrupulous methods.

"I'll give you what you want if you leave this manor."

Xingxie thought Madam Wu was really crafty. To use a maid like Suyin to do her bidding. Although, Xingxie was sure the Madam wasn't going to keep her promise.

Removing her hand that was still holding onto Suyin, Xingxie made a treasure chest appear. It was one of her jewel boxes and its worth was a lot when exchanged with gold or silver.

She opened the lid and Suyin gazed at the beautiful jewelry. She had seen the Madam wear them a lot and it was her dream to own one. Inside the chest were more than 50 pieces of jewelry. If she sold them, she could support her sick parents and pay for her brother's school fees.

"T-This....." Suyin stuttered.

"You'll give it to me if I leave?"

"Of course, you were just a victim who had fallen into someone else's trap. I won't blame you." Xingxie's words were truly sincere as she handed the treasury to Suyin.

Suyin cried tears of joy and happiness.

The Eldest Miss had been so vicious last night, so why was she offering her all this?

She didn't dwell much into it and accepted the gift.

"Also, take this and apply them to your legs." Xingxie handed her a bottle of ointment. It was handmade by her so its effect would do wonders, restoring Suyin's leg to its original state.

"Thank you Eldest Miss for saving this servant's life." Even though she could barely stand right now, Suyin tried to bow down to her, not caring if her clothed were wet.

"Guards, tell the other maids to gather Suyin's stuff. If they ask what has happened, tell them she's being sold off." Xingxie informed them and they got to it right away.

"Am I really being sold off?" Suyin asked with a hint of worry.

"No, I just wanted them to leave. Now remember this, the jewelries are yours. If you want to support your family, leave this manor.
Go find a better job. What you did yesterday was foolish and if it was someone else, you wouldn't even get to live to see today."
After lecturing Suyin, Wu Xingxie left the yard.

Suyin was speechless. Was this the same Eldest Miss as the one from yesterday?

Stepping out the yard, Xingxie caught sight of the handsome guard from yesterday again. It was strange because in the past, she rarely if never, saw him.

Was it possible that this timeline was different from the original timeline she came from?