CHAPTER 19

I was walking in the heat, crawling my legs. I was feeling like a broken crayon, but if I thought better about it, the broken ones were coloring the same as the others. I knew that once I chose the hope, anything was possible. I was telling myself that there is always a way out, and if I struggled a little, I believed that. I was optimistic.

"Where to, Ivy?" asks Ema.

"I don't know," she says disappointedly. "I'm new at this thing, but I think we have to stop."

"Great! We have all the time in the world!" says Ema ironically. 

"I need to sleep! Let's hope I will dream something!" affirms Ivy and throws in the sand.

"And you're planning on sleeping here? In this heat?" asks Ema.

"Do you have another idea?"

"I can bring some clouds," smiles Deby.

"Look, there are some cliffs in front of us. Let's better go there," says Ema.

Deby rolled her eyes and followed us, grumbling something about our trust in her powers. While we were walking, Aaron caught me from behind and grabbed my hand. His hand was cold, and I felt his long fingers holding mine. It was a real sensation in that weather.

When we got there, Ivy put her head on the backpack and went to sleep. We didn't have anything else to do, besides waiting. I didn't like the way they were all looking at me. I didn't want to know what was on their minds, so I stood up and went a few steps away.

"I still hope that in the end, it's going to be you and me" whispers Aaron, putting his arms around me.

"Me too," I said.

"I'm keeping the hope alive, and it will keep you too," he sighs.

"Is this how it's going to be from now on?" I ask.

"How?"

"I don't want every moment from now on to be about what's going to happen. I want to live the moment, without thinking about the future."

"Do you want to get out of here?" he asks.

"Of course," I said.

I took his hand, and I dragged him after me. I winced at Deby, as a sign that I didn't want to be disturbed, and we disappeared between the cliffs.

"This is beautiful!" I said after we pass the narrow walls of the cliffs.

Aaron confirmed it with a white smile. From between the cliffs, we arrived in a beautiful cave, where the sun came in among the cracks, enough to create a fairytale atmosphere. In front of us was a lake carved in stone. It wasn't too big, but it was enough for us to imagine it was a swimming pool. The water was sky-blue, and we could hear only the echoes of our voices. I felt taken up, and then I was in the water. I started laughing, and I kissed Aaron. 

We were feeling so good, that we lost track of time. I loved the way he touched my shoulders, and I let myself carried by the wave of relaxing. I put my hands in his long and bright hair, and when I was looking at him, I felt I was another person, a better human, but at the same time a crazier one.

Soon, the sun disappeared from the cracks, and it started getting darker inside, but we didn't care. It was the perfect moment.

"Can we stay here forever?" I smiled. 

"If this is what you want, we can. We don't get back to the others, we screw the mission, and we stay here. You and me. No one is going to find us if we don't want to" he says seriously.