CHAPTER 17

Very often, people around you try to make you feel better, telling you that it will pass, that are worse things in life, that everything will work out, but that's not what you want to hear. I needed someone to tell me it hurts because it matters. Some lessons I had learned from the loss. To become stronger, we need to be sometimes hurt. We have to lose to gain. It is said that everything happens for a reason, but I couldn't understand how many loved ones I had to lose to fulfill my purpose.

Slowly, people started falling asleep around the fire. After two hours, only me and Kate were up. She was about to say something, but I stopped her.

"No, please," I said.

"I didn't want to say what you're thinking", she replied.

She took my hand, and she told me a thing that I never expected. 

"I love you," she says. "I had to say that for I don't want to leave anything unsaid. I know we had our problems, but neither of us was to blame because we didn't meet earlier." 

"I know. I love you too, and the past doesn't matter anymore. What is important is that we found each other. The circumstances are not important. I know you have a lot of regrets, but it wasn't your fault. I'm glad I got the chance to know you. There were a few good things since I left Vals, I must say this. You are one of them. Aaron is the other. You and Andy... Let's focus on what we still have and cherish it. You never know when life will take this from us..."

"I don't know what you are doing, how you're doing it, but you make everyone around you to love you. You know how I felt about you when I first met you, and now I feel the opposite. And Aaron... Julia was right. He has changed a lot. He's a different person. I can't believe that a person can change so much, but when I look at him, I realize it's possible. The same when I look at myself..."

"Sometimes I wonder what's up with me. I feel like I changed a lot. I'm tired, Kate. Sometimes I want to forget everything, to get rid of the pain, but then I remember that if I forget all of it, I will erase everything beautiful that happened. And I don't want that. I just don't understand why all the people that I love and who love me end up like this."

"I won't tell you that's going to be all right because I don't read in the stars. But I want you to know I will always be here for you," says Kate. 

We fell asleep slowly. The conversation with Kate calmed me somehow. I couldn't replace Crista ever, but Kate was my sister too, and even if she came later in my life, under different circumstances, I couldn't replace her either. I felt my eyes closing. I fell into a deep sleep. 

I thought I heard something, like in a dream. Some steps. I couldn't open my eyes as I was too tired. I thought someone had woken up, so I fell asleep again. The sun was up, but it didn't wake me up like it was supposed to be normal, but Deby and Ivy's screams did.

"Damn it! I had that dream again!" says Ivy.

"The book is missing! I can't find it anywhere!" shouts Deby.

The agitation was all over us, especially when we all remembered we heard something that night, but neither of us got up to see what it was. Someone had to stay on guard, but we all fell asleep.

"I think it's something witchy," says Kate.

"It's possible," says Deby. "Otherwise, I can't explain why we didn't get up."

"What do we do now?" asks Ivy.

"One thing we know for sure. We have to get back that book", says Deby.

"We don't even know where to look or who took it", grumbles Andy.

"Who took the book probably wants to make some spell," says Deby. "The thing is I learned what I needed to know from it, but we can't leave it in the wrong hands."