CHAPTER 12

It was all so simple, but at the same time so complicated with Aaron. It took me so long to open up to him, and he waited all this time for it. It was so simple how we understood each other just by looking one at another as if we've met before. What was complicated was the fact that he changed too much in a very short time. Then I remembered how my hatred feelings turned into love, a fact that seemed impossible to me. When I was thinking about it, it was a possibility that I had these feelings from the start, but I just didn't want to admit it. There was always a tension between us, and now I thought it wasn't about hate, but about the fact that I looked at him and I saw me, a thing that made me go crazy. I couldn't accept that in the past, so I was standing now and thinking about it.

"This box is broken," says Kate interrupting my moment of thinking.

"How?" asks Deby.

"It's not shining anymore," she replies.

 She threw the box at us, in the back, and we turned it all over. It wasn't shining. We had to stop. We couldn't go further because we didn't know where.

 "Now what?" says Crista.

"Now we wait for it to shine again," says Kate.

"What if it never shines again?" asks Andy. 

"I don't know everything, but I hope that is not going to happen!" speaks Deby. 

She got down of the car and sat on the grass. There was an orange dust around us. It was practically everywhere. Crista and Andy stayed in the car, Deby continued to read from her book, and Kate sat next to her, with the box in her hands. We were prepared to sit too when a bright light appeared from the forest nearby.

"What the hell was that?" asks Ivy making big eyes.

"Let's see," I say.

"I think it has something to do with this orange dust," says Aaron.

"The light is the same color," observes Kate.

"We'll go and see what is it," says Aaron.

I left with him and Ivy. While we were getting closer, the layer of dust was thicker. When we got near the place from where the light came out, it was like we were in another world. Everything was orange, the trees, the ground, the river's water. The light was coming out from some portal.

Ivy wanted to go further, but Aaron grabbed her by the arm.

"Wait," he says. 

We saw getting out from that portal a big creature, like a minotaur, but it was orange. He woke up from a trance; then he started running through the forest. We wanted to follow it, but another one came out. Then another one, then a woman, another, and in ten minutes while we were there, nine creatures came out, all orange.

"I think it's time to get out of here," says Aaron.

"What about them?" I ask. 

"Do you see how many they are? What do you propose? Go after them? It's suicide!" yells Ivy.

"And we just let them wondering around?" I ask.

"If you have a better idea, something that doesn't put our lives in danger, of course, I'm listening!" says Aaron. 

"I think this is what that moraine was concerned about when she said that the worlds collapsed, that here are released all kind of creatures," I said. 

We hurried to the car. While we were walking through the woods, Aaron slowed me down.

"I've said it, and I will say it again. I don't believe in destiny."