Preparing For The Long Journey

My Pov

Where... am... I? What is this place.

"You must hurry. The time is drawing near." What?

"Who are you? Where are you?" I said, looking around for the source of the voice.

"Darkness is destroying everything. You must fight it and protect the light." Darkness? Light?

"What are you talking about? What darkness and what light?" I demanded, frighten by what it was saying.

"You must fight the darkness, or you will lose everything you care for." What!? I saw a light off in the distance. As I got closer, it got brighter. I shielded my eyes from it as it engulfed me. I found myself standing on some kind of platform. I looked and saw it was me! That's when my shadow grew and came out of the floor. It transformed into a terrifying monster. That's when I felt myself sinking. I looked down to see that my own shadow was swallowing me. As sank into the darkness, I heard a different voice calling me.

"...kari? Hikari!" I opened my eyes and saw I was on the Play Island of the Destiny Islands. I looked up and saw Kairi hovering over me. Next to her was her partner, Labramon.

"Hi, Kairi." I said sheepishly. Salamon snapped awake and wagged her tail.

"Hi Hikari! Hi Kairi! Hi Labramon!" Eve said. She jumped in my arms.

"Hi Salamon." I said.

"You two slept for nearly an hour!" Labramon said.

"Geez, Hikari. You're as lazy as Sora." she said, only pretending to sound slightly annoyed.

"I am not!" I looked to see Sora, next to him was his partner, Veemon. "I told you Kairi, this huge black thing swallowed me up! I don't even know what that place was... It was so bizarre..." he said.

"That's right! The monster was huge!" Veemon exclaimed.

"You were having the same dream too?" I asked him.

"You were there too? I didn't see you." Sora said.

"Sure." said Kairi, not believing us.

"It's true!" Sora exclaimed. I got up and dusted the sand off my skirt. "Say, Kairi, Hikari, what were you're hometowns like? You know, where you grew up." Sora always asked us that. And we always came the same answer.

"We've told you guys before, we don't remember." Kairi said to him.

"Nothing at all?" asked Sora.

"No." I said.

"Do you ever think of wanting to go back?" he asked.

"Well, I'm happy here. But you know... I wouldn't mind going to see it." Kairi told him.

"I'm the same as Kairi. I love it here, but I wouldn't mind going to see my old home." I said, agree with my friend.

"I'd like to see them too. Along with any other worlds out there. I wanna see 'em all!" he said, determination in his voice.

"What are we waiting for?" she asked, excitement beaming in her voice.

"Aren't you guys forgetting about-" I was cut of by the voice of Riku.

"Me?" We all turned around to see Riku carrying a log. Next to him was his partner, Kudamon. "So, I guess I'm the only one working on the raft." He threw the log at Sora, who fell over. "And you're just as lazy as they are." That's when he looked at me.

"So you've noticed." she said, giggling. That's when he looked at me.

"Hikari, I'm disappointed in you. You were helping out at first, then you just up and ditch your work." he said, trying to scold me.

"I didn't ditch!" I said, yelling a little bit. "I just need to take some time and clear my mind. A lot of things have been going through my head since we're almost done."

"Emphasis on 'almost'." he said.

"Okay, let's finish it together. I'll race you!" Kairi said. Both of the boys looked at her weird for a quick second. "Ready? Go!" Sora and Riku ran ahead of us. I ran after them and Kairi followed me. Our Digimon all ran after us. Kairi was laughing and so was I. This is what I always hoped for. That the four of us would be together forever. After completing a day's work, we met up at the Paopu Tree.

"So, Kairi and Hikari's homes are out there somewhere, right?" Sora asked.

"Could be. We'll never know by staying here." said Riku.

"I wonder what their homes are like?" Veemon asked.

"We'll know when we sent sail." Kudamon said.

"But how far can a raft take us?" Sora asked him.

"Who knows? If we have to, we'll think of something else." Riku said.

"So, suppose you get to another world. What would you do there?" Kairi asked him.

"Yes. What would you do in a new world once you've arrived?" Labramon asked.

"Well, I haven't really thought about it." he said, sounding a little embarrassed.

"You thought about building a raft to sent sail to another world and you haven't thought about what you'd do when you get to one?" I said, with a slight mocking tone.

"Kinda strange if you ask me." Salamon said. Riku laughed a little.

"Silly, I know. It's just... I've always wondered why we're here on this island. If there are any other worlds out there, why'd we end up on this one? And suppose there are other worlds... Then ours is just a little piece of something much greater. So we could have just as easily ended up anywhere else, right?"

"I don't know." Sora said, not really caring about the question.

"Exactly. That's why we need to go out there and find out. Just sitting here won't change a thing." Riku told us.

"Yeah. We always do the same stuff, day in and day out." I said.

"My point exactly. So let's go." he said.

"You've been thinking a lot about this, haven't you Riku?" Kairi asked.

"Thanks to you two. If you and Hikari hadn't come to the island, I probably would've never thought of any of this. Hikari, Kairi, thanks." he said, thanking us.

"You're welcome." said Kairi.

"Happy to help." I said with a smile on my face. We all headed back to our boats and paddled for home. I got back first, then Kairi, then Riku and Sora. "What took you so long? You and Kudamon are usually the first ones back."

"Sorry. I had to tease Sora." he told me. Riku always teased Sora and nine times out of ten it was Kairi-related. It was funny to watch. I heard Salamon and Kudamon chuckled.

"What'd you do this time?" I asked.

"Gave him a Paopu Fruit." he said. I sighed heavily. I hated it when people made fun of the legend of the Paopu Fruit.

"Riku, you shouldn't joke about that. I hope one day when I met someone special, that we share a Paopu Fruit and our destinies will be bound together. Wouldn't you?" I asked with a sweet, innocent look on my face.

"There's... no one who interest me." he said, not looking at me. "What about you?"

"Yeah. There's someone." I said, shyly. He looked at me, shocked.

"Really? Who?" he asked.

"I'm not telling!" I teased. I picked up Salamon and ran back home. I kicked off my shoes, ran into my room and locked my door. Riku had been and older brother to me ever since I came to live with him and his family and would want to make sure any guy I liked was worthy. But I could never tell him that the guy I like... is him.