Chapter 22

ANOTHER UPLOAD? Holy Freaking Jumping Fishsticks!!

Again, in this memo i'm doing things a little differently, so here we go; i'd like to virtually high five these ppl [ xxCassiexx, terranalleen, Inkless, cassie_16, RebelAngel, hopeless-twit09, leleberry6, xoxogossipgirl and runner_09 ] because you guys commented on the last chapter!! Yay for you!

Beause comments, besides being super hilrious or hugely grin-worthy, actually help me write according to opinions on characters and such, so please leave comments, i love them!!

Thanks to all my new fans, you guys are obviously schweeeet!! And you there, you old fans you've been super schweeet longer!! Yeah!

Thanks to all voters, you guys are full of sweet sugary goodness, and wonder because of your skillful button pushing [the vote button that is ;) ]

So what did we learn? I love commenting, it helps me, fans are epic, and votes are candy....also i'm crazy, woo hoo :)

==========================================================

REcap:

SAGE'S POV

Wasn't all my fault though, I had never really seen a girl cry before, let alone comforted her. I felt like if I said one word wrong that she would have broken and when she grabbed me I panicked, my most sane thought being that she was going to beat the shit out of me.

Hey, it was entirely possible.

Instead, she sobbed into my chest, and I felt my body act of its own accord once the initial shock had faded faintly. Almost like it knew what to do which was good, because I sure as hell didn't.

I hid behind my humor later, while talking to her, which I knew she knew, I could tell in her eyes. Breaking down had let her deepest emotions become clearer to me, and even though her eyes were red, swollen, and her face was blotchy, I hadn't taken my eyes off her, interested to learn as much as I could.

I found it cynically funny though, that we had something else in common that she didn't know. I wasn't lying or editing--awfully strange for me--when I said that I knew too well what she was talking about when she said that the nightmare was indescribable. I too, was plagued by nightmares, and tended to just stay awake as long as I was able, denying to myself why I was staying up in the first place.

Cigarettes, and alcohol, sometimes even prescription drugs helped me, and I now took more notice of how tired Schuyler usually appeared. I had written it off at first, pinning it on the fact that she worked, went to college and managed everything else that an adult usually would.

She was strong, but as I glanced down at her slumbering form, I had never seen her look so exposed. The tear tracks still glistened on her cheeks, highlighting the dark bags under her eyes, and the slight frown on her face as she breathed slowly, and evenly.

Carefully so as not to wake her, I wiped away the tear tracks, like I had once before, and felt better knowing that they were gone, that I had made them go away. I didn't really understand that, but took it in stride.

Stroking her smooth hair on that weird new impulse, I breathed in her scent, staring at the ceiling while her heart beat matched mine in rhythm. Her lips pulled up a little, not quite a smile but not a frown either and the feeling inside of me tripled, no quadrupled, and I closed my eyes willingly for once, going to sleep without the help of drugs, narcotics, or alcohol, but instead a girl.

And just for tonight, as she slept soundly on my watch, she was safe......with me, go figure.

***