Chapter 20

HOLY GOOGLE SASSY FRASS!! I UPDATED??? WTF???? Anyways, as always i aplogize for the wait, and hope the length makes up for it.....

Comments are yummier than Payton's "cooking"

Votes are sexier than Sage's dancing

Thanks for the support and love :) :)

========================================================

REcap: SAGE'S POV 

"Like you?"

Meeting her wide, innocent gaze, I blanched inside, not actually knowing how far I should take this, how much I should tell her. Not again.

Darken was as dangerous as me, but unlike me he retained hardly anything closely resembling a soul, or anything resembling feelings. The feelings I could relate to, but I didn't go out to rape girls for fun, burn buildings just to see them burn, cause pure, intense havoc just for chuckles, or kill people in cold blood. How could I put that bluntly without scaring her, without raising more inquiries? Could I even say it at all? Could I say that, and not explain about myself? I did not know, for once I was stumped on what to do, what to say, how to act and all because of one thing, one little thing staring back at me, holding me, waiting patiently for my answer: her.

"I'm sorry," she suddenly whispered so faintly I thought I had imagined it, and her hand slowly traced patterns on my back in a comforting gesture that softened my gaze. I doubted she actually felt sorry for me, but comfort was not something I knew, or ever received so I didn't reply...yet. 

I glanced slowly down at her, taking in her trustworthy turquoise eyes, and wanting to, maybe even willing to trust her but still unable to, at least fully. I was pathetic, unbelievably so and not worthy of her trust. She was not the sick one, it was me. Always me, a coward.

Making a choice to not be a coward, and giving into my burning desire I leaned down so that our faces were only an inch apart.

"Don't be," I whispered against her lips, the intense warmth of hers brushing ever so softly against mine while my hand roughly clasped her long hair, and the other cupped her face, "it's true."

Abruptly letting go of her petite frame, I turned quickly to go out the door, back into the bustling, loud, rowdy atmosphere, back to who I always was, and would be while leaving behind my dignity, my arrogance, my hate, my anger....regret filling me, regret and what felt like longing, but I couldn't be sure. I felt nothing.

***  

SCHUYLER'S POV  

((THE WORDS IN PARENTHESIS ARE MEANT TO BE ITALICIZED))))

He had kissed me. He had kissed me, and he had left me. Typical.

Although, if I was being completely honest, I wouldn't count a quick, meaningless brush of the lips as kiss--except that for some reason it felt like one with him.

He who was always blank faced, quiet in thought, and heavy in sarcasm had let his façade slip, had let one clear emotion come out, and I had glimpsed it very briefly in bitter recognition; fear.

Something darker than he, more menacing than he was had frightened him enough to drive him to warn me, and that alone was enough to cause panic deep within me; what the hell would Sage be afraid of?

I couldn't stop thinking about it. Well, that and something else.

I couldn't get the sultry feel of his hand in my hair, softly at first then deliciously harsh, or the smooth yet rough texture of his hand against my face or even the hard, cold pressure of his demanding mouth against mine out of my head. It was disgusting, really.