Chapter 1

I staggered up dizzily and slowly crossed the threshold to my tiny bathroom, desperately wishing my brother still, or anyone for that matter, lived with me; after the accident he and I lived together until he turned 17 and moved to L.A. Now I live alone in this huge apartment with no one to hold me when this happens and lie, telling me everything was alright. Not that I deserved that.

The shockingly cold water spattering on my face helped a little at soothing me. I took long, calming breaths while examining my face in the mirror; my eyes were guilt-filled and my face was even paler than normal. I quickly looked away thinking about how I inherited my mom's blue eyes, bronze-ish hair, tiny frame and my dad's cream colored skin. These thoughts made me sick with uncontrollable grief and desperate longing.

I made my way down the seemingly endless, moon lit hallway, back to my room when I realized that in no way was I going to be able to go back to sleep without some kind of distraction. I made a slow u-turn and shuffled sleepily into the guest room across from mine where I thought my iPod would be. 

This room was painted a shockingly bright red and the silhouette from the tall window cast stretched shadows on the blood colored walls, messing with my already freaked out brain. Telling myself that everything was alright was just not cutting it tonight. Then again, when did it ever?

Making my way towards the bed I usually ended up in by the end of the night, I vaguely noticed that I had forgotten to make it because there was a rather larger lump in the middle and the covers were askew. What can I say, I'm a P-R-O-C-R-A-S-T-I-N-A-T-O-R, big time.

I spotted my yellow IPod on the little bedside table, quickly snatched it up and placed the ear buds in my ears with a sigh of relief. Hearing just about two seconds of the soft acoustic melody made my exhaustion kick in and I laid down in here like usual. I didn't want to go back in my room anyways; the pictures of them that I neglected to take down would seem to glare at me, reminding me of my deed. Not that I could ever forget. 

The bed was surprisingly warm in here for not having been slept in a night or two; I scooted closer to the middle and pulled all the covers closer to me. Something warm winded around my waist and pulled me closer when a muffled voice sounded from somewhere in the lump of covers.

"Goddamn it, scoot over...I was here first. You're hogging all the fucking covers."

Hmm that's nice. Who knew that cover lumps could talk? I scooted closer to it, noticing it smelled deliciously good and closed my eyes when my brain started working again.

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" I jumped out of the bed and grabbed the closest thing to me for a make-shift weapon; it happened to be a lamp. My scream had also jolted the so called 'lump' too. There was a crash and then that someone jumped up, rubbing their head gingerly.

"What the fuck! Can't a man get some fucking sleep around here?" From the window I could only discern that this 'man' was tall, muscular and could easily take me. Way to be optimistic, Schuler. 

"NO THIS IS MY HOUSE!!! WHO ARE YOU?" I raised my lamp threateningly as if I could beat his ass with it. More than likely I would somehow knock myself out and just make him laugh. Again, good job with the optimism! 

"Your stupid-ass brother didn't tell you I was coming?" I couldn't tell from the moonlight but his voice sounded confused and a tad irritated. I guess I would be irritated too if someone had waken me up, even if I was a rapist; which I'm not. 

"Obviously not or I wouldn't have a lamp in my hand or be yelling at you would I?" I didn't relax my posture; he could be lying about my brother. It was probably his rapist alibi for when he got caught. If I was a rapist I would have an alibi for if I got caught, I mean-come on, it's just good sense.

"I don't fucking know. I've heard some strange ass rumors involving you, a guy and his manhood. So standing there practically foaming at the mouth and threatening me with a lamp wouldn't seem so farfetched would it?" His voice was bitingly sarcastic but I could tell his eyes were on the lamp still. Right where they should be.

"Ok, smartass, what's my brother's name?" It was a trick question; my brother liked to be called by his middle name. Ha-ha take that one, rapist!

"Well, crazy bitch, I call him Sterling well, actually I call him Ling-ling, but Sterling is his middle name. Talbot's his first name." his voice sounded smug now. Damn him, the asshole had me.

"Okay let's say I believe you, why are you here?"

"Ask your damn brother 'cause I'm going back to bed. Oh feel free to join me again. I would welcome you a little more warmly than you welcomed me." I rolled my eyes at his comment. What a pervert. He climbed back into the bed (MY BED) and his breathing eventually evened out; my heart however, had yet to return to its normal rhythm.  

Earlier, when i had said that i wished someone still lived me with, i didn't think it would be taken quite so literally. Damn, i really should have wished for something better.