Chapter 2

Danny walked around the halls and looked in his phone what his schedule was. He looked around and almost got lost but thankfully found the classroom before the bell rang.

Danny paused. The seats were stacked up.

It almost looked like a mini stadium with wooden seats.

Danny snorted at the thought plopped himself down on a random seat. He shuffled uncomfortably. He was more used to the single metal seats back at Casper High.

The black haired teen looked around and inspected the students he would be sharing a class with.

There was a large diversity.

He saw peppy students, goths, tough kids, happy-go-lucky adolescents, edgy teens.

He was rather surprised by how friendly they were being to each other even though their group was very mixed. Most didn't seem like they would be good friends but there was still something connecting them. Danny was curious and decided to figure it out later.

Later meaning lunch, which was now.

Class had been boring but Danny was intent on getting good grades this time. No ghosts to hold him back. He would make his family proud.

Danny glanced around at the crowd of students. He couldn't recognize anyone from his class.

Then he saw a few. A short girl with a mischievous glint was standing next to a tall guy. They were talking to each other animatedly before shaking hands as if making a deal.

Danny hesitated in going towards them and introducing himself. He wasn't sure how he should act.

In Casper High he was the wimp, the nerd, the weak loser who couldn't get good grades and always came in late and disappeared in the middle of class. But this was a new school. Should he act differently? Should he still keep a low profile?

He sighed and sat down on a deserted bench, students bustling with their friends around him.

How should he do this? His confidence was all gone. He was useless.

Alright Danny stopped his train of thoughts right there. He wasn't about to let himself slip into depression.

The moving must be getting to his head. He rubbed his face and stood up. A shiver went up his spine, something that was happening quite a lot this week. He glanced around and like usual didn't find anything.

He shrugged and with back straightened walked towards the two. "Hello," he said in French and waved, his american accent showing. The two looked at him confused but waved back.

"Sup," the girl said. "Who are you?"

"I'm Danny. I'm new here and looking for friends." Danny grimaced jokingly.

She snorted in amusement. "Makes sense. My name's Alix. This doffus is Kim."

"Hey!" the doffus named Kim seemed offended.

"So what are you doing?"

Another kid broke in. He was short and looked nerdish. "Kim and Alix have made another bet and we were about to start the race."

Danny almost expected Kim to punch the nerd in the face like any jock but to his surprise Kim only punched his own hand and glared at Alix. "Prepare to get your butt kicked."

"In your dreams."

Danny's smile grew. A bet? Oh he was all about that. "What is it about?"

Alix gestured to the staircase in front of them. "It's more of a competition. The first one that goes up and down the stairs wins."

Danny raised an eyebrow. "Well that is not a lot."

"Oh no. I mean the whole flight."

"Oh." Danny craned his neck to look up. "You mean all the way to the third floor?" He hummed. "What are the rules."

The nerd looked surprised this new kid was considering doing it with them. "Well, any method is allowed. As long as you play fair and get all the way up. And no hurting, shoving, pulling or even throwing anything in the competitor's path."

Danny grinned. "Count me in."

And so we find the three crouched in front of the stairs. The nerd, whose name Danny had forgotten to ask, counted down. A small crowd was starting to form and making bets. Danny guessed this happened often.

"Go!"

Danny flew up the stairs.....well not literally of course. He wasn't about to use his powers.

He had to hand it to them, Alix and Kim were hard to beat. Danny grunted and took the stairs three at a time. He took slow steady breaths until he finally reached the top. Kim had just arrived and was already making his way down.

Alix wasn't that far behind him.

Danny frowned and jumped on the railing. He quickly slid down and jumped off, placing himself on the other.

He heard something behind him and saw Alix rolling down on the small flat and steep part right next to the stairs. His eyes widened at her rollerscates. How did she get all the way up on those!! Looks like he had been right in thinking this would be a nice challenge.

He realized she was gaining up on him and that Kim guy was almost on the bottom. He crouched and gained speed, not once teetering on the railing.

At the end he jumped off and rolled on the ground, skidding to a stop a few meters off.

He stood up, panting slightly, and looked behind him.

The crowd had made way when they saw the three kids incoming and he barely dodged Alix skidding to a halt next to him. She grinned. "That was awesome."

The nerd waved his hand. "And the winner is....KIM!"

Kim was leaning on his knees. He held up a fist weakly. "Yay."

The crowd congratulated him but also Danny and Alix. The two approached Kim who shook Danny's hand. "That was amazing."

Danny grinned back. "It was. Congratulations by the way."

"We should do that again." Alix held up her fists. "Finally someone else we can compete with. No offense Kim but it was getting kinda boring just the two of us."

Kim frowned but smiled at Danny. "Yeah, you're totally joining in our other bets."

Danny held up a thumb. "Of course. Would not miss it. Anyway what did you win."

"Bragging rights." Kim stood proudly.

Danny snorted. "We should change that. Have an actual price. Like money or the right to tell the losers what to do."

The nerd walked up and nodded. "That would make competing 20% more exciting."

Danny cocked his head. "Hey I never asked your name."

"I am Max. Pleased to meet you, Danny." He thrust out his hand, which Danny shook slightly unsure.

"Uuuh hi. Nice to meet you too."

"Hey Danno." Alix punched his arm. "You're sitting with us at lunch alright."

Danny blinked. "What?"

"You were looking for friends right?" Alix smiled. "Well count me in."

Danny glanced at Kim and Max when one smiled superiorly with a hint of amusement and the other pushed his glasses up and shrugged. His smile grew. "Thanks."

Keep in mind Danny's accent so he doesnt know slang.