Chapter 23

Oh my gosh guys! I just realized how long it's been since I updated...I'm sorry!

Chapter 23:

Harry's POV:

"Answer, please answer."

Brianna's voice floated easily through the car, filling my belly with dread. There was something about her sudden feeling, something about the desperateness of the situation that didn't sit right with me.

She hung up the phone as quickly as she had picked it up. She shivered and looked at me with those beautiful eyes. "No answer."

"Call Savannah. Maybe she knows something."

She nodded and punched a number in. "Savannah!" she practically screamed. After a moment of silence, fear covered her face. Her eyes grew distant and she lost all grip, her phone crashing to the floor.

-----

Brianna's POV:

The car zoomed in between traffic, flying through lights and signs. The plane was taking off in a matter of minutes, and we were hopelessly late.

"Do you have everything? Clothes? Toothbrush? Pajamas?" Harry rattled off, while simultaneously maneuvering the vehicle into the airport parking lot.

"Yes, we have all we need," Savannah said from the backseat.

Harry parked the car and got out, grabbing the hastily packed bags from the back. He placed them on the ground just as I stumbled out of the car.

"Brianna, look at me."

I heard him, I heard his command, but for some unknown reason, I couldn't look at him. My mind was distant. I couldn't think clearly.

I felt my head being tilted and my eyes met with Harry's. I knew what we happening. It just seemed all so distant, so...surreal.

Suddenly Harry's lips were on mine. Something inside me snapped and I came back to reality for only a moment. Standing here with Harry's lips on mine was like a tiny sliver of heaven, a sanctuary to get away from life's cruelness.

He let go and pulled away, and my mind wandered back into darkness.

-----

The seatbelt light came on, signaling that we were landing soon. I placed the seatbelt around myself and clicked it into place.

Savannah's hand came to rest on my shoulder. I was thankful that she was there. I didn't know what would have happened if she hadn't come out to visit me for my birthday.

My birthday. It had only been a couple of days, but it seemed like forever.

The plane jolted as the wheels made contact with the ground. We all began filing off the plane and into the airport. Grabbing our luggage, we ran out the big doors and into my home town.

The hospital was only a few blocks from where we were, and we had agreed that it would be faster to get there on foot then to rent a vehicle.

"I know you want to get to the hospital as fast as possible, but please, slow down," Savannah begged from somewhere behind me. It was all I could do to force my feet to slow down and wait for her to catch up.

Once she did, she must have seen the agitation and worry covering my face. "It's going to be okay," she whispered before adjusting the bags and continuing to walk.

The hospital loomed in front of me. It seemed so big and unwelcoming. I shoved my way past people on my way to the front desk.

"I need to see Martha Jacobs," I stated somewhat frantically.

The lady behind the desk stared at me blankly with large, doe-like eyes. "I'm sorry, no one is able to see her at this time."

"But I'm her daughter!" I shrieked and Savannah had to hold me down before I lunged at her.

"She is in critical condition and I've been instructed not to let anyone into her room. You're always free to wait here." She flicked her hand in the direction of a room filled with children's toys and a few stray people.

I didn't move, but simply stared at the woman in disbelief. I had traveled this far, and I couldn't even see my mother.

Savannah grabbed my arm and pulled me roughly towards the room. She dumped our luggage on the ground and slumped onto a couch.

I could sense all my pent up feelings beginning to rise to the surface. My legs wobbled, causing my body to sway slightly.

Wordlessly, Savannah wrapped her fingers around my arms and pulled me onto the couch beside her. "Don't worry. Your mum will be fine," she said, slipping an arm around my shoulders.

I couldn't hold it in any longer. Tears spilled over my cheeks as I caved completely. Gripping onto Savannah, I soaked her shirt with my salty tears. She stroked my red hair in return, murmuring every comforting word imaginable.

Times like these made me realize that I would be nowhere without her.

I cried and cried. I cried until I had no tears left, and yet I continued to cry dry tears. Slowly I began slipping into a restless slumber.

I woke to the sound of a shrill whistle. Disoriented, I shot to my feet, expecting the worst.

"Brianna?" Savannah called lazily from the couch.

I shook my head in an attempt to clear it. Looking around the room, I found where the noise had come from. A couple of toddlers were fiddling with a toy train in the corner of the room.

My body relaxed slightly, and I sank back onto the couch. The nightmares had come back. My body was still covered in sweat from the turmoil.

A sudden pang of longing filled my heart. Harry had always been there to help me after my nightmares and now he was halfway across the UK. All I wanted was for his comforting arms to wrap around me and hold me tight, and for his mouth to be whispering consoling words.

I dug around in my bag until my hands found my phone, which was still turned off since the flight. It vibrated and beeped when I turned it on.

Harry <3: How's everything going? Did the flight go well? Hope ur safe .x

Harry <3: Missing u more then ever. Stay strong love .x

Harry <3: Have u seen ur mum yet? Is she alright? .x

Harry <3: Y rnt u replying? Is everything ok? .x

Harry <3: I've booked a flight. On my way to c u .x

According to my notifacations, Harry had also called numerous times.

I quickly typed out a reply:

Brianna: omg I'm sorry. I haven't turned my phone on till now. I miss u so much babe. Can't wait to c u. Me and Savannah r waiting at the hospital until we can c my mum.

I tossed the phone aside and leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees and running trembling fingers through my hair. Come to think of it, my whole body hadn't stopped shaking since I heard the news.

"How are you doing?" Savannah asked, drawing imaginary pictures on my back with her fingers.

"As good as can be expected," I muttered. I swallowed hard to keep the lump in my thoat from rising.

"Do you want to talk?" she asked after a moment of silence. I shook my head slightly. I wasn't ready to talk about it yet. "Okay, I understand."

She simply held me for a long time, leaving me feeling love and cherished.