Chapter 18

Chapter 18:

Brianna's POV:

'Harry would love this,' I thought as I prepared a Twix cheesecake.

'Man, those curls looks like Harry's,' I thought as I served a group of teens.

'I wonder if Harry remembered my birthday today?' I thought as I plunged a candle into the cake and lit the wick.

'Harry's voice would sound amazing singing Happy Birthday," I thought as everyone began to sing.

Suddenly realizing my train of thought, I shook my head, attempting to get Harry out of my brain. Ever since that day in front of Big Ben, I couldn't get him off of my mind.

I put on a fake smile, forcing a cheeriness for the birthday boy. Glancing at the clock, I sighed. In 2 hours I would officially turn 16. And Harry wasn't even there to spend that moment with me.

Carrying the dirty dishes to the back of the restaurant, I noticed Martha kept her eyes on me the whole way. "What? Did I do something wrong?" I asked, becoming worried.

"Come here," she motioned for me to follow her as she sauntered back into her tiny office in the corner of the kitchen. "Sit down."

As I did, I contemplated the reasons she would want me back here. My palms were becoming sweaty with worry.

"Brianna," she started, her tone unreadable. "I've been watching you the last couple of days..."

"Am I doing something wrong?" I interrupted.

She chuckled. "No, no, nothing like that."

Relief swept through me. The last thing I needed was to lose my job. "But, then what?"

"Is there something wrong Dearie? Something seems to be holding down your usual bright, happy self."

"Well...there kinda is." I knew I could trust her, I could spill my heart out to her and she wouldn't tell a soul. "I-I can't seem to get Harry off of my mind."

"That can only mean one thing," she said, smiling warmly, "You're in love!"

Believe it or not, that was the last thing I wanted to hear. Both Martha and Savannah had told me that now, yet I wanted desperately to believe otherwise.

Martha seemed to notice my distress. "You don't want to hear that, do you. Why not? You two are absolutely adorable!"

"I've seen what love does. It destroys people," I said bitterly through gritted teeth.

She looked taken aback. "How is that?"

"People cheat. People abuse. People fight. People divorce," I rattled off reason upon reason off the top of my head, waving my hand as I spoke.

She smiled then, tenderly. A pang of loneliness resided in my heart as memories of my mother filled my head. I missed her so much, Savannah too. "Love can cause heartbreak, but only when people give up. There are so many joys to love, you need to give it a try and see for yourself."

Those thoughts stayed with me as I left her office and picked up where I left off. Maybe she was right. Maybe I should give love a chance. But other thoughts filled my brain along with those. I needed to think about it.

-----

The fresh scent of rain filled the air as I walked out of Moxies. The night had been long and hard, but at least I felt useful for a change.

"Brianna."

I jumped at the sound of my name. Turning, I saw Harry stepping out of the shadows, holding a single rose. Determination filled his eyes, along with a nearly over-baring amount of love.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but will you join me?"

"That depends," I replied mischievously, "Where are you going?"

"It's a surprise."