Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

Brianna's POV:

A soft 'click' echoed in the flat as the front door closed behind me. I stood perfectly still for a few moments, listening for any sign of life. Nothing. The flat was silent besides the familiar sound of the old clock ticking.

I slipped off my shoes and began tip-toeing towards my room. I knew where all the creaky boards were and I expertly avoided them.

"You're 52 minutes late." I jumped back, my heart racing like never before.

"I'm sorry, I..." I never got to finish my sentence. I felt a hand grab my arm, roughly spinning me around to face my father.

"I told you not to be out past curfew." He crossed his arms, waiting for my reply. I closed my eyes and willed my beating heart to slow down.

"Savannah's boyfriend..."

"Oh this will he good. What did Savannah's boyfriend do now?"

How was I going to explain this to him? He would never understand. "You know what? Never mind."

I spun around and stalked down the hallway. I didn't care what he thought, or what was about to happen next. He could put up with a bit of rebellion from me.

That's when it happened. That's when my life changed forever.

A lashing pain cut through my back and my knees lost all feeling. I fell to the ground in a heap, instantly rolling into a ball for protection.

"You have no right to walk away from me Brianna!" He spat. He came closer, towering over me. He brought his hand down again, this time connecting with my cheek. I let out a slight whimper at the pain.

"I give you all these privileges, and what do you do? You stay out an hour past curfew." He was only inches away from my face and his breath reeked of beer; what a shock. His voice grew louder until he was yelling at the top of his lungs. I was scared out of my mind. He had always abused me, but never physically. I had no doubt what he was capable of.

His leg snapped out and his foot dug into my side repeatedly. The pain was unbearable, but I kept my mouth shut. If I cried, he would only hurt me more.

"George? What's going on?" came my mother's sleepy voice from her room. I saw her shocked expression when she came across me laying on the floor, balled up in pain. That one expression hurt me more than all the physical pain I was enduring.

"George!" she screamed, placing herself between me and my father.

"Stay out of this Martha."

"I will not! This is unacceptable!"

I didn't dare look up at them. I could imagine my father boiling with anger. Then came the sound of flesh hitting flesh, followed by a frightened scream. Those sounds will forever be etched in my mind.

"I told you stay out of this. It's none of your business!"

With that, he turned back to me. I felt a crushing pain as his foot was brought down over my face. Then everything went black.