Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Brianna's POV:

Tears spilled over my eyelashes and onto Harry's shoulder as I hugged him tight. My hormones were going wild for two reasons, one, because I was weak and tired after that traumatic experience, and two, because I felt those old butterflies filling my stomach again.

When he pulled away and held me at arms length, I stole a glance at his gorgeous green eyes. A mixture of relief and happiness filled them, along with a little frustration.

"I was so worried..." he started, but I silenced him by placing a finger to his lips.

"I think we both were. I'm sorry. It's all my fault."

"Please, don't take it out on yourself," he pleaded, his face full of love.

I looked at the ground, fiddling my thumbs. "I think it's too late," I whispered, voice barely audible.

"No Brianna. Look at me." He cupped my chin gently, tipping my face and forcing my eyes to his. "I-I love you."

Suddenly everything seemed to go into slow motion. He leaned down, closing his eyes as he came closer. My mind was screaming, "Just kiss him," but memories of the past swept over me. Memories of Josh cheating on Savannah, of my father hitting my mother.

Love only led to hurt, pain, depression. I was not about to let myself be put into that position. I would do better to ignore love, to spare myself the turmoil.

His lips almost brushed mine before I pushed him away. He looked at me then, hurt playing across his face. "What's wrong Brianna?"

"I-I don't, I can't..." I let out a frustrated breath. The last thing I wanted was to hurt his feelings. "I...need time."

He seemed to understand, or he was an expert at hiding his feelings. Either way, I saw a flicker of hurt before his expression went blank. "Okay, I get it. Let's just take it slow," he said, nodding.

I agreed, although I wasn't sure I wanted to simply take it slow. I wanted to never let love rule me. Ever.

-----

Harry's POV:

Days passed since that moment in front of Big Ben. I've tried to cover my feelings, tried to let fate take its course.

I don't think Brianna knew just how much she had cut me. I wasn't stupid, I could read the message behind those words. She didn't want to love me, ever.

At times it almost seemed as though she wanted to love me. There were those tender moments when she let her guard down and allowed her feelings to shine. Those moments would always be followed by hurt, though. She would realize what she was doing, and then walk away from the love I knew she wanted.

Somehow I had to prove to her that love was a good thing. That it didn't always crash and burn, leaving you hopeless. It was magical and thrilling, it always made you feel on top of the world. Like you're flying.

Tonight Brianna was working. I should be happy for her, she loved her new job. Every night she would come home with new stories to tell. I guess I was happy for her, but I was self-centered; I wanted to spend more time with her.

I curled myself up on the couch, my back leaning against Liam. All the boys were hanging at mine and Lou's flat; 'a boys night.'

"What is with you?" Liam asked quietly enough so that the others couldn't hear.

"What do you mean?" I asked, opting to play dumb.

"You know good and well what I mean. You haven't been your cheeky self lately."

"It's Brianna, isn't it?" Niall piped, obviously eavesdropping on our conversation.

"What's this about Brianna?" Lou and Zayn asked at the same time.

"Good going Niall," I whined, rolling my eyes. Four pairs of eyes fell on me, each holding the same curiosity. "Ok fine, it is Brianna."

"What happened?"

"Did you have a fight?"

"She isn't in love with someone else...is she?"

"Please don't tell me something happened to her, did it?"

Questions were hurled at me full force, overwhelming my depressed brain. Despite myself, their curiosity made me chuckle. "No, nothing happened to her, she isn't in love with someone else, at least I don't think she is, no, we didn't have a fight, and let me explain."

They all nodded, gathering closer. What had I gotten myself into? There's no backing out now.

"Okay, well it all started when Brianna got lost. Remember that?"

Four pairs of heads all bobbed in unison.

"When I found her...I told her I loved her."

They leaned in, eagerly awaiting the rest of the story. It was slightly amusing in a way, they looked like a bunch of over-sized kids.

"Sh-she said she needed more time." My voice cracked and I couldn't go on, or else tears would embarrass me farther.

"Awe, Harry." They scooted closer, as if that was even possible, and enveloped me in a giant group hug.

"But the thing is, I know she loves me. I can feel it when she lets her guard down." I said, frustration ringing in my voice.

"Well maybe she's...scared. Didn't you say she had a hard past before she came here?" Liam questioned, rubbing my back soothingly.

"Yeah...but it's just so...I don't know. I guess I'm flustered."

Niall spoke up, "Sometimes you just have to be patient."

Zayn nodded in agreement. "You need to charm her, win her over."

"And prove that you can love her, and won't destroy her," Louis added, showing his deep side, which was a rare sight.

I honestly didn't know where I would be without these lads. They always knew what to do and could always make me smile when I was down.

Now I just had to follow their advice. I had to be patient and show Brianna what love was.

And I knew just how to do that.