They are left behind to look after the pups and cry over the mates in worry or mourn.

If their mates die, then they eventually die too. Or in worse case scenarios, the rogues that killed her mate might abduct her and use her a slave.

It's horrible. It's so sickening that I wish I could change the system. I but I have no power. And I know that.

How can we win if half of us are left behind to not fight? If all the packs do this then why can't we be different and let women fight? Won't that give us added number of fighters?

I massaged my temples as I felt a headache building up. I am thinking too much.

Bending down, I carefully put Katherine's head on a soft pillow and tucked her in, in my duvet. Kissing her head, I stroked her hair and after making sure that she was okay, I left the room.

The hallway was silent. No one was there. But I could feel that almost no one was asleep. They were up too, worrying about the ones who have gone to defend us.

Such a shame we could just sit and worry.

I walked into the kitchen and filled myself a glass of water. My throat was parched and all the worries were making it worse.

Cold water went down my throat and cooled it down a bit. I was halfway through my glass when a voice was heard in my head.

'Livy, are you there?'

I froze. It was Ryder's voice, calling me through the mind link.

I haven't shifted yet. So I could only receive messages. Never give one. I could only hear him. Not reply.

I closed my eyes and listened patiently.

'Oh Livy, I hope you are there. I need your help. Mark, Katherine's brother, he's here with us...'

The hair in the back of my neck rose up at Mark's name and I held the counter for support. Oh my god, is he okay?

'... he's too young, Livy. And undertrained. I am trying to tell him to go back. But he's not listening. Can you come here please? Bring Katherine. She's the only one he'll listen to. He needs to go back, Livy. These creatures are too malicious for him.'

My breathe came out in pants and I placed my half empty glass back on the counter.

Sweats of worry beaded on my forehead and I looked at the main door of the pack house.

I have to go.

<><><>

I decided against waking Katherine up. She has just fallen asleep. That girl deserved rest. I'll go and get Mark on my own.

I know why Ryder asked me to bring Katherine. She's a great fighter. With all the energy and warrior blood. She's meant to be.

But me? Not so much.

I made my way to the pack's warehouse. It was were all the gym equipments and fighting weapons were stored. Due to the witch spell, only pack members could enter the warehouse without getting severely hurt.

As for the outsiders, they need Alpha permission to enter.

I picked up the only weapon I thought I could use. Silver Rifle.

I am the kid who was always protected by her parents. They never let me go out on school trips— let alone fighting for my pack. My nutritive health was taken care of— no doubt. But I was also spoiled by Mom's delicious homemade cookies and apple pies.