40.| Obstacles

Keith Powers

Keith Powers

April just stared at me like she I just said something to her in a different language. Then she slowly pushed her chair back and stood up.

"Baby we weren't together when this happened." I said and her hand tossed up.

"I need a minute." She said while walking away.

"April."

"Just give me a minute Keith!"

The patio door opened then slammed closed. Sighing I got up then started cleaning up our food and the mess I made in the kitchen. I mean I didn't expect her to be happy about this. She thought she was giving me my first child. Well we both did.

After cleaning up, I went and sat in the family room and watched tv. 30 minutes have gone by and she's still out there. This is a hard pill to swallow.

I just don't want it to fuck up anything.

Taking a deep breath I got up and headed to the back. I stepped on the patio and sat down in a chair across from her. "Can we talk now?"

She looked up at me. "Honestly what is there to talk about?"

"How you feeling about this. I know you're not cool with it."

"I'm not but what can I do about it? We weren't together, you didn't cheat on me."

"I know but still I wanna know how you feel."

"The only thing that bothers me is that our child won't be your first, but shit happens, that's apart of life."

Rubbing my eyes, I sat back in my chair. "I want you to be able to have a relationship with her. You are her stepmother."

April's jaw clinched and by the look on her face she wanted to say FUCK NO but she knew what that would cause.

"Before we get to that part let me get used to the fact that my husband has a child by another woman." Her eyes watered up. "And by Brittany of all people! She barely takes care of her oldest daughter and this is who you get preg-." She was starting to get mad. "I'm gonna just go to bed. It's been a long day, I gotta headache now, ima just go to bed."

"April." I grabbed her hand as she walked past me. "I know you ain't happy about this but I promise nothing is going to change and everything is going to work out."

She nodded and walked into the house.

I hoped everything stayed the same.

The Next Morning

I set an alarm last night so that I could get up and make April breakfast before we both started our day.

Before I went to bed I prayed that this doesn't hinder our marriage because when she walked away after we talked I had this strange feeling that she would never be okay with this.