Wave 22

Cadfael POV

"I hope you're ready to lose, and not only your life but your mate as well," whispered Lehar with a fake smile.

"Don't worry about me, but about yourself. Will you past mate even wants to see what kind of man you have become?"

His grip on my hand became stiff and the hatred in his eyes multiplied by ten. Even if he was throwing daggers at me, I didn't look away. He needed to understand that I wasn't someone who he could play with. We let go of each other's hand and swum in opposite directions.

"Ready your sword!" shouted the King as I lifted my sword up until it was at the level of my upper chest and parallel to the ground. I carefully watched as Lehar positioned himself with his sword's pommel at the level of his head as the rest hanged down. "Remember, there can only be one winner. If you wish to withdraw, this is your last chance," we both stayed silent as we glared at each other, so the King continued, "Then you will fight until one of you is unable to. Ready?..." I calmed my breathing and prepared myself for the upcoming fight. "Fight!"

The second, the King gave the signal, the only the crowd's cheers could be heard as Lehar charged at me with his sword pointing at my heart. He must have thought highly of himself if he thought he could end me on his first strike.

I lowered my sword and locked the muscles in my tail ready to dart to the side as soon as he was close enough. When our sword clashed, I let him push my backward before letting everything go and let him fall forward. Without missing a beat I turned my body so I was facing his back and slashed it.

Unfortunately, he somehow reacted fast enough, so I only scratched him. Only a thin red line could be seen.

"I missed, but it won't happen again," I wanted to intimidate him as he rolled his shoulders.

"Same for you," he answered as he positioned his sword again.

This time, I attacked first. I went for the small spot in his armour between his arm and shoulder. I wasn't expecting to actually injure him, but more to warn him. I wanted him to know that I knew the soft spots of his armour and if he wasn't careful enough, he could be severely injured.

I needed to act carefully since I was not only fighting for myself, but for my mate. A mate that I had been waiting for years and that had more than friendly emotions toward me. A mate that secretly went to see the doctor for a heartache each time he thought of me. He was worried about the affection he felt for me. But I needed to live through this, so I can be able to tell him that I also felt that heartache.

As expected, my blade met his and we glared at each other for a moment. Then I used my tail to land a heavy blow on his side making him back away. Before he could get too far, I swung up, but again, he blocked it before using his tail to propulse himself away from me. I didn't let him create more space than necessary and followed him. Then I swung my sword down aiming for his tail, but again, he blocked my attack with the first quarter of his blade. I flapped my tail and my sword glided on his as I was aiming for his neck.

Once my blade arrived at his pommel, he swung his blade away forcing me to back away and this time, Lehar attacked and slashed horizontally at the level of my head. Instinctively, I crouched down, but he rapidly attacked again, but this time at my tail's level. I swam up and he used this opportunity to slam his tail on my abdomen.

I ignored the pain as we both swung our swords back before slashing horizontally at the same time. This time both of our blades hit the target. We both jumped away from each other and flinched when I felt my wound opening. A trail of blood could be seen as it floated up into the water.

I looked up and saw that Lehar was as injured as I was, but then his hand was rapidly brought to his mouth and he coughed. Blood slipped through his fingers as it trailed up.

"I told you I wouldn't miss. Surrender or you may not live through the next one," I warned as I pointed my blade at him.

Somehow, the sound of the crowd came back to me and I heard the deafening cheers. I looked to my right and saw Llyr watching me intently with his two hands firmly pressed against each other. I could see how his eyes trailed from my face to my wound.

I switched to the other side, so he couldn't see it and I brought my attention back to Lehar.

He watched his hand before looking up and then smiled in a way that I never saw him do. It was a gentle and understanding smile. Even though he was looking at me, he wasn't seeing me, but someone else.

"You won't be mad right? I didn't kill myself. I died honourably as I tried to fight for the crown. You won't reject me when I come to the other side, right?" he mumbled to himself before his eyes focused on me again, "I have found a way to join him without breaking my promise. So, do not disappoint me and come!" he shouted as he charged at me.

I lifted my sword up, but it was strange, even though he was attacking me, his stance was full of opening. It was as if, he wanted me to slash through him.

He wanted me to kill him.

My grip tightened and I rapidly pierced my blade into him. "I apologize for my words toward you and your mate. You'll be waited on the other side. Be happiness ever be with both of you," I whispered to him before he weakly worded a thank you.

I could feel his body going heavy on me and I knew he was gone. He was now forever with his mate and the answer dawned on me.

Lehar's mate died from a disease and a promise was made. Lehar was to live his life and only when it was time, he could join his mate.

Lehar did everything to fulfill that promise and to join his loved one. He even went as far as to appear as the enemy. He made a lot of sacrifices to finally be able to be in his mate's arms again. He gave up his life for him.

Then I realized that I would have done the same. If Llyr were to die one day, I would surely follow him to the afterlife.

A world without Llyr? I couldn't imagine it.