Wave 21

Today was the day of the duel. I couldn't sleep all night. I nervously observed my mate getting dressed up in his gear which resembled an armour. How can he be so calm about all this? Even though I was a little relieved that if Lehar wins I wouldn't be given to him, but Cadfael could be critically injured. If my mate happened to die from one of his injuries after the duel, Lehar would not be taken responsibly.

"Don't worry too much, I can feel your nervousness from here," my mate teased, but I ended up crying just by thinking of everything that could possibly happen to him. "Hey, don't cry," my mate rushed to my side to take me into his arms. "Don't cry, everything will be alright."

"B-but the rules say that the fight only ends when one of you forfeits or is gravely injured. Do you know what that means?!" I cried into his shoulder.

Lehar could continue to injure him until he was at the doors of death! Even if the battle is stopped before he dies, there were no rules saying that he wouldn't succumb to his injuries after... Which will leave me mateless. Under those circumstances, Lehar will possess the right to claim me since we will both have lost our mates, I doubt the matchmaker will refuse.

"It won't happen. Believe in me."

I looked at him in the eyes. Even if he tried to look all strong and confident, there was a hint of incertitude obscuring his eyes. He was worried too, and I was only adding to his worry. Each time I imagined my future with Lehar as a mate, my heart will hurt and it made me want to cry. I searched for any disease having heartache as symptoms, but I couldn't be ill with only one symptom. It wasn't enough for a diagnostic. Therefore, I secretly went to see the castle's doctor. It wasn't any help because he said that it wasn't a disease he could cure. With that said, he dismissed me with a smile and on his order to do something relaxing and if the heartaches persist, to come to see him again.

It was a heartache. I could feel it coming. But, I needed to be strong for him too. Strong for the man I wanted to live the rest of my life with.

"I believe in you. But you better win," I pouted, "Or you better watch out afterward because I will be a no-touch zone."

"That's so cruel," he whined, "But I do not only intend to win the fight but your heart too."

Once more, the heartache came back.

"You already have it..." I mumbled as he went back to dress up.

Too soon for my taste, we headed to the public place in town. I didn't know whose idea it was, but I didn't like it. I glued myself to Cadfael arm until I we had to sit on separate chairs as we waited for the others to arrive. We arrived half an hour early and there were already people standing around the rink waiting. Some were standing near us and I could overhear them trying to bet on the winner. When I heard Lehar's name, I just glared at them. How dare they.

Suddenly, the whispers stopped and the sound of horns resounded through the Kingdom. My mate and I stood up and watched the King and Queen arriving on seahorses with rows of guards were following behind them. When they passed in front of us, we lowered our head in respect. After they took their respective seats, they announced that the duel will be starting late since the other competitor, Lehar, wasn't here, yet. What a promising King. He can't even be punctual.

I took my mate hand, and he looked at me. "Are you nervous?" I asked.

"For what? I can't wait to teach that bastard a lesson after laying a hand on you," he promised with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

I smiled as the crowd parted in two. Everyone's eyes were on the man who just arrived with an arrogant smile plastered on his face. My mate sat up and kissed the back of my hand before letting it go. Again, the heartache was happening, but this time, it hurt much more than before. Why was that?

Both contestants stood tall in front of King and Queen. At one and the same time, they drew out their sword out of their scabbard and pointed their weapon toward the King before directing it down and went to their knees.

"You may lift up your head," announced the ruler of the Kingdom as he raised his hand. Both my mate and Lehar obeyed. "A challenge for the crown has been demanded, and the duel will be held today. The winner and only the winner will be able to proclaim himself as my rightful successor," the King watched the crowd before continuing, "State yourself and prove to the people whose eyes are your judge and witness your solemn promise to fight following the code of honour!"

Cadfael stood first, his sword still firmly planted on the ground, "I, Cadfael, second son of the 64th King of the Second Sea vow to follow the code of honour until my very last breath."

Then, it was Lehar's turn and copied my mate's earlier moves, "I, Lehar, first son of the 64th King of the Second Sea vow to follow the code of honour until my very last breath."

"In that case, contestants enter the ring!"

Both of them made their way on the ring and glared at each other with intensity. As the protocol stated, they approached each other and exchanged a handshake. I frowned when they seemed to whisper words to each other, but unfortunately, I was too far to hear anything.

They let go of each other and put some distance between them.

"Ready your sword!" shouted the King as both men adopted two different fighting stances. "Remember, there can only be one winner. If you wish to withdraw, this is your last chance," when no one moved, he continued, "Then you will fight until one of you is unable to. Ready? Fight!"