Wave 17

Kaito needed to go, so I was left alone in this spacious room again. Lehar was his name. The name of the person who disturbed my future with my mate... Which sadly hasn't even started yet. I looked at the window which gave the most beautiful view I ever saw. I didn't know how long I was sitting there, but it was nighttime already. I looked around the empty bedroom and saw that our supper was already delivered. I propped my head on my hands and sighed. Was I nothing but a trophy to be handed to the winner? I thought the matchmaker decision was final. My mate was supposed to be Cadfael and not Lehar. Didn't I really have a choice in the matter?

I sighed for the nth time. I didn't want to live my life like this. I haven't had a choice in anything since my birth. I couldn't select the school I went to, my mate and now my entire future? No, I didn't want that. I just recently accepted my fate with Cadfael. I didn't want anyone else. That man... Lehar... Will never be my mate! I refuse and no matter what, I will reject him. With a new rush of determination, I sat up and slammed the door open. Startling the guards, they looked at me surprised.

"Is everything alright sir?" demanded one of them worriedly.

"Bring me to my mate," I simply answered.

"He's busy for the moment. Please go back to your room and-."

"I said, bring me to him now!" I didn't allow him to finish as I angrily repeated myself. I didn't know where this audacity came from, but I will not back down now. It was now it never.

"O-of course, please follow us."

I nodded and let them escort me through the hallways of the castle. We stopped in front of a set of doors. If I remember right, this would be the throne room. What was he doing here? The guard knocked and waited until someone opened the door. They whispered to each other until the butler who opened the door looked at me. They then nodded to each other. The doors were now completely opened, and the people on the other side were currently looking at me. Cadfael reacted first. He came rushing to me.

"Llyr, what's wrong?" he asked worriedly as he gently touched my arm.

"I want to talk to you..." I shyly looked at everyone in the room. It looked like they were in an important discussion. No! That's not right. Now was not the time to walk away Llyr. "About the contest between you and Lehar."

"How did you know about it?" my mate asked worriedly as he pulled me into a corner of the throne room.

"That's not the point... But a duel?" I asked worriedly. "What kind of duel?"

My mate hesitated to answer as he avoided my gaze. I patiently waited for his answer, but it never really came.

"Let me answer that for you little one," said Lehar as I looked at him. "You don't need to worry, no one will die. It's only a race."

I paled. A race? How could I not worry after hearing that? People were severely injured during a race. Some even disappeared! There were no proper rules since no one could ever witness what was happening everywhere and anywhere at the same time.

"What are the terms?" I whispered as I grabbed my mate's arm for support.

Lehar grinned, "The crown of the Kingdom of course! And... You. The little cherry over the top."

I looked at my mate, "Is that true?" I asked even though I already knew, I just wanted a confirmation from him. "Please answer me. Is it true?"

Cadfael looked at me painfully and nodded. I let the man go and took a step back. I looked down and my hands turned into fists.

"Don't be so sad little one. Aren't you delighted that you're so wanted?" Lehar placed his arm around my waist as he pulled me close. "But don't worry, I'll treat you better than my inexperienced little brother."

A shiver of disgust crawled all over me.

"You-," started my mate, but I couldn't wait for him to complete his sentence, so I just punched the man.

I successfully landed a punch on his nose and damn it, my hand hurt. Instantly, the man let me go and groaned in pain.

"How dare you?!" I shouted furiously. "How dare you treat me like an object? I have my own free will too and who said I wanted to be with you?!" I stopped myself to take a deep breath. I never shouted this much before. "You truly disgust me. Do you know how important mating someone is?" I waited for his answer, but he just looked at me with an unreadable expression. "Of course not, since you didn't even bother finding your own," I spat. "So, let me tell you. I don't intend mating someone else than Cadfael even if he loses!"

"That's not your choice to make, little one," the man grumbled as he came out of his shock.

"In that case, I'll make sure to make your life hell if you happened to win. Don't even think a second that I'll let you be my child's father. I would rather kill myself first. That would be terrible for your image, right? How would the citizen of the Kingdom view you?" I rambled and only stopped when I felt the comfortable embrace of my mate wrapping around me.

"It's okay, calm down," he gently whispered as he slowly rubbed my back. "Don't be mad okay? I'll take care of it."

I placed my face into the crook of his neck and started to silently sob.

"It seems like you have been rejected. Do you still wish to continue this madness?" tranquilly said the Queen, but I could detect the hatred in her tone.

"Father, I know he shares your blood, but do we still have to fight over the crown? It is apparent that a man like him will only bring chaos to the Kingdom. He couldn't even take care of his own mate," he muttered the last part making me frown.

What did that mean?

"It's my birthright. Who are you to take it away from me?" Lehar answered back.

"So is mine, but my mate isn't!" Cadfael shouted the last part.