Wave 5

I didn't go to school or any places except for my room and the hill near the border. I was also avoiding everyone. I wanted to be alone.

Where I would be going wasn't the Kingdom I knew. I wouldn't know the people there, nor the one I was going to be with for the rest of my life. Would I like it there? I hoped it wouldn't be too different from here. And to add to all my dilemmas, the prince would be here tomorrow to meet and take me to his Kingdom.

I was really hoping that we wouldn't be at each other's throats. But it would have been nice to have known his name in advance. All I knew about him, was his title and the kingdom he would soon rule. No matter who I asked, the merpeople either wished me luck or were completely jealous. Except for Mira, but she was too busy daydreaming about her own mate.

We never got separated for more than a day, but it seemed like it didn't bother her. I started to cry making some bubbles slowly floating up to the surface. I would definitely be homesick.

I sniffed as Hiro came under my arm trying to comfort me. I was hoping that I could at least take him with me. I already asked my parents, but the prince would have the final word since I would be living in his castle.

"Don't leave me, okay?" I softly said to Hiro as he made a weird sound. "I will take that as a yes," I chuckled.

I stayed for another hour or so before I swam back into my house. This would be the last time I would be able to sleep in my bed, in my house. My parents were already sleeping, so I silently made my way into my own bedroom. I couldn't fall asleep, I was always turning around in my bed. No matter how long I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, I couldn't.

As soon as the sun shined on the sea, my mom barged into my room.

"Wake up Llyr!" she said excitedly as I groaned.

I finally managed to fall asleep, only to awaken four hours after. This wasn't going to be a good day.

"We have three hours before the prince comes to get you, so you have to get ready!"

Why couldn't she see how stressed and unhappy I was right now? It seemed like she was blinded as soon as the matchmaker said the word prince. When she saw I didn't move, she pulled off my blanket and told me to wake up, but in a more commanding tone before starting to ramble about something.

Honestly, getting myself pretty was the least of my worry right now. More she talked, more I felt annoyed. If she mentioned the word prince one more time, I would definitely snap at her. Unfortunately, she did mention the word.

"Enough!" I snarled making my mother stop her rambling while looking at me her eyes as wide as the biggest pearl in the sea. "Everyone doesn't stop rambling about the prince this and the prince that! You guys don't actually see how..." I stopped myself trying to calm down.

"Llyr, if only I-" my mother started, after a long moment of silence, but I interrupted her.

"Don't. Don't say if only you knew. I have had enough, please leave my room, I'll be downstairs in a few," I calmly said and waited for her to slowly swim out of my room.

I sat still on my bed with my two hands hiding my face.

"I won't cry... I won't cry..." I mumbled to myself before going to the bathroom.

When I was sure that I won't be bursting into tears, I made my way to the bathroom. After I did my business, brushed my teeth and took care of my tail, I went downstairs. Mother was nowhere to be seen, but my breakfast was already on the table. Before I could take a bite, my father decided that it was finally time to talk to me.

"Llyr, what you did to your mother was not respectful. I know you're stressed, that..."

My mind shut down, I couldn't hear my dad anymore. They were annoying me on a new level, but I felt very calm, almost like everything didn't concern me anymore.

I must have given up to my fate. No matter what I did, I won't be able to change it and crying or by being angry wouldn't make the Gods pity me enough to change anything.

"Whatever," I answered as I finished my plate surprising my dad.

I guessed I never acted like that, so they must be lost on how to deal with me.

"You guys don't need to try and worry about me. I'll be out of here before you know it," I said coldly as I put the dishes in the sink.

I swam back upstairs into the bathroom as I start taking care of my hair and skin. Time flew and soon enough, the prince would be here in a few minutes. Looking at how I looked, I felt satisfied. My style was simple, but at the same time, sophisticated.

When I was in the middle of swimming downstairs, someone knocked at the door making me stop in my track. My parents opened the door and showed a perfect smile as they exchanged a few words before letting a man enter.

"Llyr, this is your mate, Cadfael, the First Prince of the Second Kingdom," my mom explained as she didn't make eye contact.

I made my way down before standing right in front of my mate. Cadfael had at least a head taller than me. It was quite intimidating.

"Nice to meet you Prince Cadfael, my name is Llyr," I greeted as I felt his gaze burning me.

Unexpectedly, Cadfael smiled making my heart miss a heartbeat. And what he did after was even more surprising. He pulled me by the waist, and he leaned forward until his lips were on mine.