Wave 14

Maids were helping me get ready for Darya and Kaito's ceremony. I insisted on doing it myself, but they were playing deaf. No matter what I said, my words went in by one ear and came back out by the other. Cadfael was gone to see the King. Apparently, it was about something urgent. I didn't dare to ask. It wasn't my business.

I was now ready, and Cadfael still hadn't come back yet. At this rate, we were going to be late. I left our room and went to the throne room. They must be there. As I cautiously approached the doors, I could overhear their muffled voices. Then, the shouting suddenly started startling me. What was happening within there?

I backed away from the door. The shouts got worse by the time and I didn't know what to do. Suddenly, the door slammed open and a man stopped when he saw me. He glared at me and swam away as his tail hit my arm in the process. Before my brain could process anything, my mate also came out of the room.

When he saw me, he instantly froze. "Llyr, what are you doing here?"

I played with my clothes as I nervously answered, "W-we were going to be late... So, I came looking for you."

His facial expression softened, and he pulled me into his arm. I flinched when he held my arm a little too hard.

"What's wrong?" he cautiously pushed me back and saw the soon to be bruised. "You're hurt? How?"

I avoided making eye contact as I thought of an answer. "I-I... It was an accident..."

"When?" his tone got harder making me look down. "When the man stormed out of the room. But, he apologized!" I lied a little.

His nostril flared, but he didn't add anything. He grasped my hand and pulled me to him when he started to swim away from the throne room. When we got back into our room, Hiro jumped into my arms as I observed my mate get dressed up. We didn't say anything to each other and a few minutes later, we were on our way to the ceremony. As expected, we arrived late and everyone was already seated. Everyone was looking at us. I blushed and tried to hide behind Cadfael. He sat next to the king as I sat next to him.

Then, the official ceremony started. Kaito first appeared and patiently waited until we heard the melodious and graceful notes of the talented singers. Then, Darya appeared in the dress we chose together a few days ago. She slowly made her way toward Kaito. As one, they turned to meet the matchmaker who was there to approve of the official mating for the last time.

As the audience waited for the couple to come back out, my tail moved nervously as I glanced at the prince. He didn't say a word since I informed him how I got the bruise. He kept glaring fiercely at the empty chair next to the Queen.

Finally, the newly wed couple came back out, and the matchmaker officially announced their mating had been successful. Tonight, no one was allowed to disturb them. They'll have to mate until Darya gets pregnant.

What will happen to me? We were both males even if it was evident that I would take the mother figure. But produce an heir? Could I even get pregnant?

I never thought about it before. But, Cadfael will be the next King, he will require an heir, a successor to the throne.

The crowd cheered, and I looked up to see Darya and Kaito kiss. Both of them had a smile. They looked happy together. Will we still be like we are today even after years since our mating? Will he reject me for not being able to bear a child? Then why? Why would the matchmaker put us together knowing that it wouldn't work?

I glanced at my mate, and he was still glaring at nobody. Suddenly, he took my hand and pulled me up.

"Let's go congratulate them," he grunted making me nod. I followed him without a protest and forced a smile when we arrived in front of them.

"Congratulations!" I said earnestly as the newly mated couple smiled at us.

"Much appreciated, Llyr!" answered Darya cheerfully as Kaito nodded with a smile. "And I thought you wouldn't come?" she gently teased her brother.

"I was about to. We are leaving," he dragged me away from the couple. I was so surprised by it, that I didn't know what to say. I could only look at the couple with apologetics eyes before we left the ceremony.

We rushed back into our room, and he slammed the door shut. Then, he started to pace around. I gulped not knowing what to do.

"D-did I upset you? Did I d-do something wrong? Or something I-I s-shouldn't have?"

His head snapped up and I thought he realized something because his expression softened up. "Not you... I'll be back," he left me alone there with Hiro who was sleeping in his bed.

My chest hurt. Even if he confirmed that it wasn't my fault, my chest still hurt. I let out a small cry as I sat down on the bed. I heard Hiro whine as he wrapped his tail around my arm. I hugged him.

"You're the only one, Hiro. My only friend..."

I snuggled with him as I laid on the luxurious bed. I waited for my mate to come back. Hours passed, and it was starting to get dark and he still hadn't come back. Will he even come back? Our relationship may end even before we had even started.