𝟭𝟬. 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗹𝗲𝗻 𝗱𝗶𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀

Začít od začátku

Matilda shrugged, "No shock there. I'm always right," she folded her arms across her chest, looking at Harry. "But what was I right about?"

"You were right about the diary," he said quickly, and how he had so much energy, Matilda didn't know. "Tom Riddle stored his memories there. I've seen everything, Tilly."

"What did you see, Harry?"

"You're wrong."

Matilda had always known that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures. There'd been a rumor that during her first year, the groundskeeper had tried to keep a dragon in his little wooden house, and it would be a while before people stopped whispering about the giant, three-headed dog he was said to have hidden away. And if, as a boy, Hagrid had heard that a monster was hidden somewhere in the castle, Matilda knew that he'd do anything for a mere glimpse of it. He'd probably thought it was a shame that the monster had been cooped up so long, and maybe thought it just needed to stretch its legs. But that doesn't mean he was responsible for the killings.

"Riddle might have got the wrong person," said Hermione. "Maybe it was some other monster that was attacking people..."

"How many monsters d'you think this place can hold?" Ron asked dully.

"It's a big castle," Matilda shrugged. "Lots of rooms. Lots of lost hallways and passages."

"We always knew Hagrid had been expelled," said Harry miserably. "And the attacks must've stopped after Hagrid was kicked out. Otherwise, Riddle wouldn't have got his award."

"He was expelled, big whoop," Matilda rolled her eyes. "Doesn't mean he's guilty of the deaths of multiple students..." she looked between Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "I mean, the three of you have done plenty that should've resulted in expulsion... doesn't mean that you're innocent."

Ron tried a different tack.

"Riddle does sound like Percy—who asked him to squeal on Hagrid, anyway?"

"But the monster had killed someone, Ron," said Hermione.

"And Riddle was going to go back to some Muggle orphanage if they closed Hogwarts," said Harry. "I don't blame him for wanting to stay here..."

Matilda's eyebrows furrowed, "Does that not give Tom Riddle a motive to lie."

"Was he that kind of person, though?" asked Hermione. "I mean, we've seen his awards. He was a perfect model student."

"You fail to realize the things some people will do to achieve greatness," said Matilda, knowing the need for greatness too well.

She shrugged, "Not to mention, Hagrid would make the easiest target. The big guy who likes all kinds of odd creatures would be the model person to frame should a monster suddenly appear in the castle."

For a moment they were all silent. But Matilda knew none of them was really understanding her.

"You met Hagrid down Knockturn Alley, didn't you, Harry?" someone asked.

Matilda rolled her eyes.

"He was buying a Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent," said Harry quickly.

"Are you saying the monster is a giant slug, Harry?"

No one answered Matilda. The four of them fell silent. After a long pause, Hermione voiced the knottiest question of all in a hesitant voice.

"Do you think we should go and ask Hagrid about it all?"