𝟬𝟮. 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝗻𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀

( 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘀 )

ii

ii. devilish little monsters

Early morning dew drops stained the glass on the windows. The sun poured through it, glistening off the small droplets of water, sending an array of colors to cascade across the hardwood floor. Birds chirped in the highest branches of trees and the creatures roaming in the forests below the towers could be heard stirring to life. The candles on their bedside table flickered back to life as the first signs of daylight began to show in the sky.

There were many tired groans and yawns that morning as students made their way to the showers, dragging their feet like zombies. The night had been spent filled with quiet whispers and the telling of summertime stories. Everyone had been catching up with friends or making new ones instead of sleeping. First-night pranks had been played. And everyone was just beginning to once again find a routine in the castle.

With her hair still wet and smelling like fresh strawberries and coconut, Matilda began to put on her uniform.

Girl students were allowed five choices. They had two skirts, one plaid, with the color of the assigned house, and the other a plain black. They had two pairs of black dress slacks and a pair of capris for warmer days. The five shirts paired with each pair of bottoms were the same, a white collar button-up shirt with long sleeves, meant to be tucked into the waistline of the trousers. A striped sweater with the colors of the assigned house patterned horizontally was also allowed and given to students as another option for a shirt. They were also given socks and permitted to wear whatever shoes they wish as long as they did not restrict the student's ability to perform assigned tasks.

School blazers, scarves, and other clothing items could be bought from Hogwarts' school store.

Matilda had never been a fan of the uniform rule. She liked dressing and wearing what she likes. But she got the weekends and students were still permitted to wear their casual clothing when they weren't in classes. And girls were still luckier than boys. They were only given shorts and slacks to pick from.

By the time Matilda had made it down for breakfast that morning her hair had been dried and pulled back into a ponytail, a blue, silk ribbon tied into a neat bow covered the hairband that held up the long hair.