𝟬𝟰. 𝗺𝗼𝗽𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗱 𝗺𝘆𝗿𝘁𝗹𝗲

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

iv

iv. mophead myrtle

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, Hogwarts' nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepperup Potion worked instantly, leaving the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterward. Cho Chang, who had been looking pale, was finally bullied into going to see Madam Pomfrey by Padma. The steam pouring from under her raven-colored hair looked like the black lake on a foggy night.

Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams, and the pumpkins at the bottom of the hill, unkempt by Hagrid, swelled to the size of garden sheds.

The crackling fire in the Ravenclaw Common Room kept Matilda warm. As she sat curled up on the velvet couches, covered with a knitted blanket from her David, her step-dad's, mum. A book sat open in her lap and her long, dark brown hair cascaded around her face like curtains covering a window.

Aside from the rainy weather, things were going quite well for Matilda. She remained well ahead in all of her classes, even Professor Lockhart's class, which she least enjoyed of them all. Distractions were little to none. She'd only had one incident since what happened with Draco on the Quidditch Field.

This time it had been between her and two older Hufflepuff boys. They were standing just outside of the Great Hall. Matilda and Padma had walked up on them teasing Luna, holding her small bag of treats just out of her reach, making her jump for them, and laughing as they only continued to raise them higher into the air.

Matilda had given them a warning. Told them to get lost and give Luna back what belongs to her. The two boys stopped, looked at one another, and began laughing again, finding it funny that a second-year Ravenclaw was telling them what to do. Matilda didn't try to warn them a second time. And in a second her wand was in her hand and pointed toward the two boys, still laughing at Luna.

Professor McGonagall was outside the Great Hall doors in seconds. She stood, completely shocked by the sight before her. With yellow and black striped ties around their necks waddled two former fourth-year boys, now covered in white feathers and quacking out of orange beaks. Apparently, turning classmates into ducks was frowned upon at Hogwarts. Because Professor McGonagall had sent Matilda to see Headmaster Dumbledore after hearing what had happened.