𝟭𝟰. 𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗮𝗰𝗹𝗲

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

xiv

xiv. dinner time spectacle

It was quiet. Strangely so. As if Rueban Winters didn't have a clue about what had happened at Hogwarts. He knew – of course, he knew. Working at the Ministry, and doing what he does, doesn't come without knowledge of everything that's happening. Rueban knew but hadn't said a word. He was letting this simmer, and Matilda hated it.

When Matilda had emerged from the train she ran for her dad, wrapping him in a hug, taking in his familiar scent of mint and orange. He always smelled like oranges. Their house always had the faint, clean scent of the fruit. Rueban hugged her back immediately, lifting his daughter off the ground, telling her how much he missed her, and asking if she'd grown since the last time he'd seen her. She'd only laugh and shake her head. Matilda knew that it was not destined for her to be tall. Despite the height of her mom and dad, and even her older sister, Matilda was the shortest of them, by a lot.

Harper came up to them not long after Matilda had been planted firmly back onto the ground. She hugged her dad, but not like Matilda, apparently, she was too old for that now. Too cool for it too.

It was when they'd got home that Matilda expected the speech to begin. The reprimand for putting herself in danger. But it hadn't. Matilda lingered longer in the living room than usual, and nothing was said. She'd gone to her room, putting everything away, still, waiting for it to happen. She wasn't going to let her guard down. No way.

Dinner was made and put on the table. Matilda and Harper had both finished unpacking by now and had come to the table from lounging on the couch, watching their dad's television that somehow worked, even outside of the muggle world.

Vegetable lasagna. Matilda could smell the warm air filled with garlic as her dad pulled the fresh bread out of the oven. She and Harper sat beside one another, their dad on the other side. It didn't feel right – still, after years and years had passed, it didn't feel like a family dinner since her mom no longer sat on the other side of her dad. Matilda never complained about the divorce though. Not anymore. Not unless it inconveniences her.