𝟬𝟵. 𝘂𝗻𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝘆 𝘃𝗮𝗹𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗱𝗮𝘆

( 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 )

ix

ix. unhappy valentines day

Hermione remained in the hospital wing for several weeks. There was a flurry of rumors about her sudden disappearance when the rest of the school arrived back from their Christmas holidays, because, of course, everyone thought that she had been attacked. So many students filed past the hospital wing trying to catch a glimpse of her that Madam Pomfrey placed her curtains around Hermione's bed to spare her the shame of being seen with a furry face and whiskers.

Harry and Ron went to visit her every evening. And every time they would try to convince Matilda to go along with them. She always refused. But when the new term started, Matilda brought them each day of Hermione's homework. Because, if she were to be the brightest witch to walk the halls of Hogwarts, it certainly wouldn't be by default.

"I don't get it..." said Ron, his face twisted with confusion as Matilda lay pieces of parchment full of notes written by her on top of the books filling his arms. "You get her work, take her notes, but won't visit her?"

"Yeah, why not just come see her with us this evening, Tilly?" said Harry. "She'd probably like it."

Matilda rolled her eyes. They had this conversation every day now, it seemed.

"Because I am not Hermione's friend. I can offer her no words of comfort" she told them. "Though I can respect her, and because I do, I refuse to allow her to fail."

Ron looked at Harry, "Girls are weird."

Harry looked at Matilda. He knew better than to agree.

Matilda had been wandering aimlessly around the neverending halls that lined the stone castle. It was getting late in the evening. Her heels clicked softly on the floor, echoing off the long walls. She hadn't known what she was doing. Restlessness is what she'd chalked it up to. Stir crazy. She'd been cooped up for too long, and bitten her nails down to the quick already. A habit she's been trying to break for years now.

That's when the voices sounded down, at the far end of the hall, toward the hospital wing. Of course, she knew who the voices belonged to. Especially when one asked how many rat tails you add to a Hair Rising Potion. It'd been a question assigned during Potions for homework. Finally, Harry and Ron had rounded a corner, nearly bumping right into her.