“I ran here.” He opened the door against my protests.

“You were mean to my baby, and now you think you can just Ryder her like it’s nothing.” I complained only half serious.

“Did you just accuse me of riding your baby? You are one weird cookie.” He shook his head.

“And you are one persistent jerk.” I started my truck. It rumbled to life.

I drove to the Jensen house. All the lights were off. Mrs. Jensen must be sleeping. She usually is by the time I come home from the late shift.

I unlocked the front door and crept down the hall. 

My room was plain. I didn’t want to spend the money to decorate it. I’m broke now that I can’t use the bank account from the rouges pack. I was saving every cent. I wanted to build a cabin. Well, that plan went to shit.

I grabbed my clothes and stuffed them in plastic bags. 

“Uh, Mika, all of your clothes are way too heavy for Wyoming.”

“I know.” I sighed, sitting on the bed. “I don’t want to leave.”

“We’ll be back. Let’s go.” He gently took my hand and pulled me up from the bed. 

Ryder grabbed the keys out of my pocket. 

“Hey!” I protested.

“I’m the man. I drive.” 

“But Ryder-”

“No buts. Get in the car.” 

If I wasn’t so tired, I would have argued more. I get to sleep, while he’s stuck driving all night. Jokes on him.

I slept for the for the first twelve hours. I know it’s a lot, but I was really, really, really tired. 

I felt so safe with Ryder there.

It was the second best sleep I’ve ever had, the first being after my date with him.

I made Ryder stop at rest stops nine times. 

Sometimes it was that I had to go to the bathroom. Other times it was that I was hungry or I needed to stretch my legs. I even claimed that I was carsick, which is not possible for a werewolf, nevertheless, Ryder still stopped.

I turned what was supposed to be ten more hours into over twelve. 

I was stalling. 

I’m not the type of person to worry about what people think of me. 

However, I didn’t want to deal with the scrutiny of Blood Moon. 

I wasn’t nervous either. 

I just don’t want to deal with them.

I don’t need their approval. If that mattered to Ryder, he wouldn’t have come after me.

*

Just under 24 hours since we left Dawson Creek, Ryder pulled into the driveway of the pack house. 

“We’ll be fine.” He smiled at me. 

I wish I could believe him, but I’m not stupid. 

I’m not blind either, I can see the glares that are being sent my way from the windows of the house. 

Really? Glaring at me from the window?

I glared back at each one of them. One by one, curtains were drawn back in place.