Chapter 28

The first thing I did after accepting the fact that Ryder is taking me back was write notes to everyone telling them that I left. 

If I didn’t, they would think that I got caught up in the snow somewhere and they’d spend at least a year looking for me or my body. 

“C’mon, babe,” Ryder whined for the seventh time in fifteen minutes. “When can I hold you?”

I rolled my eyes. “If you ever want to get back to Blood Moon, I suggest you shut up.” I wanted to comment on the whole ‘babe’ part, but I knew I had to let it go or I’d never get these notes finished.

He huffed and plopped into a chair.

We were still in the diner. There was only one light on and all but two chairs were up on the tables. I had locked the door and the ‘open’ sign was flipped to ‘closed’.

“I don’t see why you have to tell them that you’re leaving anyway. It’s not like they own you. There are no wolves here. You’re not in a pack.”

He was really starting to annoy me. “These people have been my family for the past month. They helped me passed really dark times. If you didn’t find me, I would have probably spent the rest of my life here. These are good people. I’d give my life for any one of them. I’m not going to leave them without at least a goodbye.” It was strange, but true. I feel as if I’ve been here all my life.

Sensing that I was not happy with them, Ryder looked slightly panicked. “I’m sorry. I love you, I just want to get you in my arms, where you belong. Don’t be mad at me.” He pouted him bottom lip.

It was weird to see Ryder be so playful, but whatever. 

“I’ll be done in about ten minutes. By the way, by ‘in my arms’ you better have just meant a hug. I’m not going to sleep with you or even kiss you for a long while. I have not been properly wooed.” I stuck my nose up jokingly.

“I’ll spend the rest of my life ‘wooing’ you if that’s what it takes to get you to stay.”

*

True to my word, I was done with the notes ten minutes later. 

I left them on the counter for Denise to find in the morning. 

“Let’s head back to my room.” I walked towards the exit, expecting Ryder to follow.

“Room? I think I like that idea.” He rushed to catch up with me.

“I’m just going to grab a few things before we get on the road. Anyways, my room is Mrs. Jensen’s spare room. She’s an eighty year old cat lady.”

“Isn’t there a motel or something here?”

“There are fifty seven people living here and no one vacations here. It’d be bankrupt in the first year. If someone needs a place to stay, the people let you stay. I live here for free actually.” I smiled.

“Lived. As in past tense, Mika.” 

“Whatever. Let’s just get my stuff so we can go.” I unlocked my rusty old pickup. As old as it is, the tires are new. They are perfect to travel in the ice and snow daily.

“Um, that doesn’t look safe.” Ryder looked disgusted. 

“Why? Just because my baby isn’t your Ferrari, doesn’t mean it’s not beautiful in it’s own way. This truck has been good to me.” I patted the side of it.

“I’m happy that we’re leaving this pile of junk behind.” He walked over to the passenger side.

“Get in your own car.”