Chapter 7

I didn’t leave my room until lunch time. Damn my wolf appetite. I’ve spent the last six hours arguing with my wolf about Ryder. She wants him. 

I walked down the familiar stairs and into the kitchen of my childhood. My mother was sitting at the kitchen island. She turned and saw me. “My baby.” She was crying.

She stood up and tried to hug me, but I took a step out of her reach. I saw a flash of hurt cross her face, but she covered it up rather quickly.

“I’m sorry.” I was trying to keep the emotion off my face. I can honestly say that I have no idea if I succeeded. “I can’t.” I turned and walked away from her.

I used to be close to my mother. I can’t get attached though. It’s what weak Mikayla would do. I have to keep my distance. 

I walked out the back door. I walked down to the guest houses. I took a deep breath, and followed Logan’s scent to the smallest guest house.

“Logan!” I shouted closing the door behind me.

Logan came downstairs. “Hey.” He smiled at me. “It’s working. We’ll be home in no time.” He gathered me into a hug, kissing my forehead tenderly.

“I don’t know if I can do this. I feel her coming back. Mikayla. I can feel myself weakening again.” I was close to tears.

“Mikky, the hard part is over. You’re here. You’ve met up with them. The rest will be easy.” He rocked me back and forth soothingly.

“I met with my mother. I turned my back on her. She didn’t do anything wrong. I just don’t know if I’ll be able to let go a second time.” 

“Do what you must, my beautiful Luna. Everything will work out in the end. C’mon we have to have lunch with them.” He grabbed my hand and lead me outside. My stomach growled, and he chuckled. 

“Maybe we should walk faster. You might go wolf and eat me.” He joked. I hit his arm lightly. 

“For that, you’re carrying me.” I jumped on to his back. He grabbed my legs. 

“I have no protests for having your legs wrapped around me.” 

“Pervert Alert!” I screamed. A couple wolves looked at us weird, but I let it go.

***

It was tense. Understatement of the year.

I was sitting with Logan on my one side and Ryder on my other. There were twelve wolves at the table. My mother and brother along with the highest ranks in the pack.

“We are honored to have you visit us, Alpha Ryder.” Robert O’Maley spoke. I almost laughed. He was only of my biggest bullies as a child. 

“Well, it’s sure been an... Interesting visit so far hasn’t it?” He addressed the elephant in the room.

“You can say that again.” I mumbled.

“I’m happy you’re here.” Ryder said looking straight at me. 

I ignored him. “Where’s Dad?” I asked.

I heard coughs. Jay looked me in the eye. “He’s dead.” He stated bluntly.

I felt a piece of me crumble, but I remained emotionless on the outside. I’ll mourn him when I get back to the Rebels. I cleared my throat. “How?”

“Rouges.” Oh.

I clenched my jaw. “Come here.” Ryder held his arms open for me. 

I turned and hugged Logan. “Shhhh.” He whispered in my ear and rubbed my back in circles. Ryder dropped his arms.