Chapter 16

My mother stood in the doorway.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. “Mother.”

She bit her lip nervously. “Mikayla, Ryder told me you were hurt.” 

My mother was always a worrier. Why am I not surprised she found out about what happened?

“During the same raid by rogues that took your father away from us, the pack doctor disappeared. We figure he was dragged off into the woods and torn apart, but we don’t know for sure. Because I was no longer Luna, I figure I should still do something productive for the pack. It kept my mind off things.” Her eyes misted.

I felt bad. Losing your mate is the worst thing that can happen to a wolf. You never move on. You are lucky if you are strong enough not to kill yourself. 

”I’m sorry about Dad. I really am.” I meant it. 

I loved my father. I was definitely a Mamma’s girl, but that was only because my Dad was often busy with Pack business. My family was never mean to me, besides my brother neglecting me. Even then, I love them all.

A tear fell down her cheek. “So am I, baby. So am I.” She patted my shoulder awkwardly. Growing up, I had a great relationship with my mother.We were very close. When Jay stopped being my best friend, my mother took over. I would have been alone without her. We haven’t talked much since I came back. It’s sad because I really did miss her almost as much as I missed Ryder. That’s saying a lot considering Ryder is my mate..

“As for me being hurt, that was last night. I’ve healed.” I walked into the room, but I left the door open for her. She stepped in and closed the door behind her. 

“He didn’t tell me to take care of you. He mentioned it to Jay and I kind of overheard. I came up here on my own to see if you are okay.”

I sat down on the bed. My mother sat in a lazyboy that was in the corner of the room.

“It was Ryder, wasn’t it? There are scars.” She pointed to my arms that were bare due to my tank top.

“Yeah.” I sighed. “At first I was shocked. Then, I figured that he hurt me emotionally and mentally four years ago. It was only a matter of time before he hurt me physically. It seems it’s what he does best. Hurt me.”

“Baby,” She cooed. “I doubt he meant it.”

“He was so angry at me. I’m not going to be one of those submissive bitches that worship the ground their mate walks on. I don’t plan on ever being his Luna.” It was almost sad, the story of Ryder and I. 

“After you left, Ryder dropped out of school. He went to every single pack and searched for you. For over a year, he was gone. Your father had to use his Alpha voice to tell the boy to finish school. Ryder planned on going to Europe to look for you right after he graduated. He only had a year left of school when the raid by the rogues happened. Then, he was forced to stay here. An Alpha can’t just leave his pack. Especially since he was new at it. He was not a happy camper when he realized he wouldn’t be able to look for you. 

“At first he was just angry at everyone. Sentenced anyone who even spoke your name to death. Then a couple months later he was just depressed. It was like the whole pack was mourning you. Alphas are meant to be strong. Ryder wasn’t strong. He was challenged multiple times. The only reason he won is because he took out his aggression on them. I was just grateful he wasn’t taking it out on the pack. 

“I was born and raised in this pack, and I’ve never seen darker days for the Blood Moon Pack.” My mother told her story solemnly. 

“When did it stop?” I never wanted my pack to suffer.

“It never completely stopped. Ryder did get a lot more easy going and a better Alpha after Jay finally talked some sense into him, but he still had an off day at least once a week. Those days have stopped since you’ve been here. It’s like our whole pack is out of a horrible depression. I see the pups playing outside of their houses. It’s like the sun shines again.”

When an Alpha has strong emotions, it gets broadcasted to everyone in the pack. Hence, Ryder’s depression equaled everyone’s depression.

“I didn’ t want to hurt anyone.” I said quietly.

“I know you didn’t baby.” She stood up from the armchair she was on and walked over to me. She sat besides me and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

“I just needed to get away. I didn’t want anyone to suffer besides Ryder maybe. I just can’t believed Daddy died and I wasn’t there.” I felt a tear glide down my face.

“He knew you loved him.” She whispered as I buried my face in her neck. It was just like when I was little and cried when I woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. 

“I could have helped him. He might even be still alive if it wasn’t for me.” 

“I saw what you did to Sylvia. Sweetheart, where have you been these last four years?”

I pulled away from her. “Maybe you should go.” I wiped both the emotion and tears off my face. My guard was back up.

She looked panicked. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She rushed out just like a child would. “Please don’t leave again!” Tears were streaming down her face.

Is she mentally stable? Most werewolves who lose their mates aren’t.

“Shh.” I gathered her in my arms and started to rock her. “It’ll be okay. Everything will be fine.”

I just lied to my mother.

_________________________________________________________

I know this is very short.

Sorry!
Tomorrow and Friday, I have standardized testing.

If I don't pass it, I'm not graduating. 
So, I need to study.

I totally forgot about it too.

If I remembered, I wouldn't have said I was going to update at all today.

It was either a short update, or no update. 

I chose short update (Obviously)

I figure something is better than nothing. 

The next update should be Saturday, if not then Sunday.

After two days of testing, I might need a day to just sleep or something.

I'm stressing, can't you tell? 

Ughhh

Quick vent: I was so confident because my grades are A's. I took one look at the review and I was like: O-o I'm so screwed.

Next Chapter will have Ryder in it. 
I missed him. Lol.

Ok, I'm going to study,

If you don't read the whole Author's Note and just read the end to see when the next update is, I'll write it again.

Next Update: Saturday, Sunday at the latest (Read above if you care why)

Anubis xx