The Eighteenth Secret - Murder

Start from the beginning

I felt a sense of relief wash over me. I had a feeling my father might've known what to do.

Shane continued, "Not every blue Toyota has white rear view mirrors. Are you trying to say someone else decided to have their car exactly the same as yours?"

"No." Logan shifted on his feet, "My car was stolen last week."

"Horse shit."

I took a step forward, having regained some strength.  Logan was a shy person and I knew it was difficult for him to have to speak in his defense in front of those who he wasn't comfortable around yet.

"Shane, honestly, stop being a fuckface. Think about what you're saying, okay? What are you even thinking? That a high school student would be working with random fucking thugs off the street to..what? Have my father locked up?"

"Well, it would explain why he showed up so close to all of this happening." Shane narrowed his eyes at me.

"That's fucked."

"I'm not fucking saying he's definitely involved in this, Vicky. Dammit, I'm saying he's a suspect because of the information we just found and we can't rule him out just because he makes you all fluttery inside."

Stephan snorted in laughter but tried to cover it up with a loud cough, eyes widened as he did so. Even Logan coughed quietly aside me, swiping his hand over his face as if embarrassed and in that moment, at the thought of his blush, my stomach had indeed, fluttered. I gritted my teeth in anger.

"I didn't say we're ruling him out. I'm saying you didn't even give him a chance to explain," I snapped. "I'm tired of all this fuckery."

"It's alright," Logan spoke up from aside me, and I finally looked at him. His cheeks were a light shade of pink, and he avoided meeting my gaze.  Instead, he looked at Shane as he said, "I suppose it makes a bit of sense to suspect me because of the um," he paused, confusion clear on his face as he shrugged, "Whatever it is you just said, but truthfully, the car was stolen two days before Christmas, we filed a report at the police station for it. It hasn't yet been found."

"Coincidence that it happened to be Blakeson and whoever's working with him who stole his car?" Stephan suggested.

Shane eyed Logan for a few long moments, "I'm not letting you off so easy."

"Oh, okay." Logan fiddled with his keys, "May I leave now?"

I felt bad for the poor guy, being thrown into all the shit that came along with knowing me so quickly. I didn't want him to know about it all, yet he deserved an explanation.  "Yes," I said, eyeing him, "Thank you for chasing that guy off."

He shrugged, lowering his head, "I didn't do anything."

"You showed up," Stephan pointed out, "If you didn't, who knows what could've happened, right?"

Shane shrugged a shoulder, "Guess we should thank you."

"Was that you saying thank you?" I narrowed my eyes.

He sent a lazy smirk my way, "Go home, Lance, and stay there where you're safe because Blakeson could have seen you and I hear the gang he's a part of likes to throw people from windows."  He was trying to scare Logan, looking for his reaction, but when he hadn't shown any expression, besides raising his eyebrows, Shane backed down.