Chapter forty-four

Start from the beginning

" I'll be here when you get back." he whispered.

She smiled before leaving ever so unwillingly.

She was almost out of her building when her phone rang.

"Mon-el? I just left!" she scolded.

"I know that, girl of steel. I just forgot to tell you I love you."

She melted right where he stood upon hearing those words.

" I love you too, you idiot. I'll see you when I get back." she replied and then hustled towards CatCo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mon-el was just out the door, heading for the DEO when Alex called him.

"Hello?" he greeted her.

" Mon-el, meet me at Royal Jewellers. It's just opposite CatCo. I'm already here." Alex said devoid of any feeling at all.

" Okay, I'll be right there." he hung up as he grabbed his wallet.

"Time to find the right ring to fit the maiden of might herself, how hard could it be?" he muttered to himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mon-el, I swear to God I'm going to kill you if you don't make a decision!" Alex yelled as they left the jewellery store.

" Hey! It's not my fault! None of those rings were the one!" he defended.

" Really?! None of them? We've been to six stores already! What? Are you looking for a ring made of fairy dust and rainbows? Or am I missing something?!" she quarrelled.

"Look, it's not that simple! All those rings were nice and all but they weren't Kara! I'm not going to settle and just by any old ring that's pretty! She deserves the best and I'm going to find the best!" he shouted.

"Well, unless you plan on buying the perfect ring in another city, we're running out of stores! I swear, if we don't buy a ring at the next place, I'm going to strangle you!" she screamed.

" Okay! Just relax. I'm sure the perfect ring is around here somewhere." he sighed.

" Where else can we go? I don't know any other stores within a five mile radius!" she huffed.

" Hey what about that little store down there? It looks decent." he suggested.

" But that store is about to close down. I doubt the perfect ring is there. If it was, it's probably been sold already." she sighed.

" It's still worth a try. C'mon, if we don't find it there, you can go back to whatever it is you were doing and I'll find it on my own." he promised.

" Deal. Honestly I don't know why you needed me to be here. You've rejected all of my choices so far." she grumbled as they crossed the street.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Hi, how can I help you?" the elderly woman asked them.

" Hi, we're looking for an engagement ring." Mon-el smiled.

"Oh! Congratulations!" the woman complimented as she stared at Alex.

"What? Oh you thought.......No, we're not a couple. I play on another team if you know what I mean. The ring is for my sister." she rambled.

" Anyways, I've been searching all day at jewellery stores all around the city and I've found nothing. Just a bunch of huge flashy diamonds with no meaning behind it. Do you have anything that may be different?" he asked.

" Well this is our current selection. It's very limited as this store is on the verge of closing soon due to relocation. Here have a look." she said.

" Oh, what about that one?" Alex pointed.

" Too boring." he said.

" Okay, well which one do you like?" she said, emphasising the you a little sarcastically.

Mon-el looked through the rings. And he was not satisfied by any of them. They all just screamed money rather than thought. Kara deserved a ring that truly represented how much he loved her. A ring that shone out in it's most simplistic beauty.

" See anything you like dear?" the lady asked.

" Sadly, no." he huffed.

" Don't you have anything more elegant. You know something that doesn't scream just diamonds?" he asked.

"I'm sorry, but......" the woman paused.

" Wait, I just might have something. Hold on dear." she said as she went to the back room.

" After this I'm so outta here." Alex grumbled.

" This ring was left here a couple years ago by a woman who claimed she was married to a famous prince." the woman explained as she returned.

" Despite being given everything she could have wished for, she said she never loved him. So one day she fled and came here. She left the ring without asking for anything in return. I believe she said her freedom would be payment enough." she opened the antique box.

" I never sold it because I always though she or the prince would eventually come looking for the ring. But they didn't. Funny enough, she said maybe it would bring another prince his soulmate one day. Oh, the crazy days." she shook her head.

She finally lifted the cloth covering the ring and revealed it to them.

When Mon-el saw it, he froze. It was by far the most beautiful ring he saw. Not sporting the biggest diamond or the largest price, but simply beautiful. Just like Kara.

He picked it up and examined it. It was in perfect condition for an antique. Maybe it was fate. Maybe he was the prince that was supposed to find his perfect soulmate. Kara.

" It's perfect." he grinned.

" It's exactly what I've been looking for. How much?" he asked.

" Well, if what that woman said was true at the time, and this was given to her by a prince, then no doubt it would be priceless today. But since this shop is closing soon and no one else has bought it, I'll take whatever price you offer." she smiled.

" That's quite generous of you." he thanked her.

"Just one question. Are you sure this ring is for the perfect girl? " she asked.

" She's so perfect, it's as if I was going to propose to Supergirl herself." he smiled.

" Well then, you have a deal. Let me just get you a new box and you'll be on your way." she smiled.

" Thank you so much!" he praised overjoyed that he found it.

" Well, I'm glad this is over. I'm never shopping with you again. You have way too much taste." Alex rolled her eyes.

" Here you go dear. Now go propose to your princess." she smiled.

Mon-el and Alex left the store so after.

" So have you figured out how you're gonna do it?" Alex asked.

"I've had some ideas. But I don't think....." he started.

"Oh, lemme guess, none of them are the perfect one." Alex mocked.

" God, you're such a sixteen year old girl." she laughed.