Chapter One- Blake's P.O.V.

Part One- Chapter One

Death Note Rule # 13. The Death Note will not affect those under 780 days old.

________________________________________________________________________

                I sat on a bench in the loud, bustling streets of London, quietly sipping on a latte while awaiting my next job. I watched as the early morning traffic buzzed by, taking notice of every move and action that they made. Ever since I left Wammy’s, I took a job as a private investigator. The job was easy with a relatively high pay, and a moderate amount of morality, something that I hadn’t expected.

                A man came and sat down on the bench a foot away from me, holding a yellow envelope. Setting it down in between us, he tugged his coat on a little bit more, the harsh autumn cold especially unforgiving.

                “What’s the job this time, boss?” I asked, crossing my legs uncomfortably. Something was off and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. His entire demeanor was just wrong. His body language screamed of awkwardness, which thoroughly confused me. I raised my eyebrows, flicking my hair out of my hair.

                “You probably won’t like it, ma’am,” He responded sadly. I turned my body towards him followed by my head. What did he mean by that? I’ve never cared what my job was so long as I got paid.

                “You know I’ve never cared about the jobs. Just tell me what it is so I can get going,” I said, a hint of annoyance leaking into my gruff voice.

                “And you’re sure you won’t get angry?” He asked.

                “I’m positive. Now tell me the damn job,” I replied, barely able to keep it under a scream. He looked at me, giving me the first look I’d ever seen of his eyes, a film of apology over them.

                “Your job is to investigate L’s murder and kill him,” He said, a tear starting to leak out of his eye. My heart quenched with such a force that I came to believe I’d died for one second that day. Everything seemed to cease movement before being replaced by the memory I longed to forget.

                “Why do you two continue to play, even though it always ends up in a tie?” L mumbled as he watched us, Artimi moving the black bishop over to my pawn, tackling it before adding it to the line of captured white pieces. Artimi replied, though I was hardly paying attention. A tie? Really? I though, ticked as I grudgingly as I pushed the bishop aside with my king, adding it to my own line of black pieces identical to hers. When we looked at the board, only two kings stood. Clenching my fist tightly out of sight, my jaw tightening and my brows pulling together in a strained position, I looked at her.

                “Wanna play again?” She shook her head.

                “Nah, it’s about to be dinner time,”  She pointed out, leaning back and nearly falling out of her chair. I gave a silent chuckle, jamming all of the pieces into the blue bag.

                “See you at the usual table, L,” I said, picking up the chess board and securing the bag in the other before walking over in my black army boots to the drawer where all of the games were kept.

 “You ready?” I asked Atrimi.

                “I’m always ready for food,” She replied. I smiled, walking away arm-in-arm with her to the dining hall.

                I was shaking, a mixture of anger and sadness filling me whole, anger at L for getting himself killed, and sadness at him dying at all. I lifted my hand to take a sip of my drink only to find it gone. When I looked down, I saw it on the ground, its delicious contents now bathing in filth.

                “Damn, I wish I hadn’t dropped that,” I said to myself, hearing my voice break in multiple places. I felt something slide down my face, my finger catching it in the nick of time to catch it. A tear, I thought, frowning at my emotions. Sniffing, I wiped my face on my coat sleeve, pulling it away to find it soaked. An unusual question popped into my head, and before I could thing I blurted.

                “Who hired me?” I asked him, leaning down to pick up the cup. Before I could, a pair of gloved hands picked it up for me, placing the lid on the top before throwing it into the trashcan beside the bench.

                “I did,” A voice said from beside the man. I slowly sat up and turned my head to the side. Before me stood a boy with white hair and skin almost exactly the same, his outfit white as well. The only contrast being his black depthless eyes. I leaned back, placing my arm on the back of the bench.

                “So we meet again, Near.”