Chapter 9

Jessica's POV

Well, that is not how I expected the school day to end, but I'm not unhappy about it. I actually feel a bit lighter now. It felt good to tell someone about my living situation and I'm glad it was Ms. Garr...No, Kaycee. I believe her when she said it would stay between us. Something about her makes me feel safe and maybe even a little cared for. I thought back to the way she wrapped her arms tightly around me and it made me shiver, but in a good way. I think.

"It's time to make the snacks." Aime said out of nowhere.

I was currently tinkering with the touchscreen on the security door, trying to pass time until my friends (??) get here.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, never looking up from the door.

"It's proper etiquette. You have to offer your guests snacks. I looked it up." Aime said in her computer voice.

"It's just a school thing, Aime. Nothing fancy." I hummed.

"Jessss. We need to make a good impression." She whined.

My fucking computer whined.

I sighed, then dropped my tiny tools and huffed, "Fine," before shuffling off to the kitchen.

.....

"Welcome, guys!" I exclaimed as I held the door open for Ed, Kim and Sandy.

There were a mumbles of "hello" and "hey" as they walked in. I watched them take in their surroundings, then did as Aime said and offered them food and drink.

They accepted it gratefully and we got to work on our project in my dining room. It took us about an hour to decide on an app, then another hour to implement a plan. We decided to go with an app that would allow students, teachers and parents to easily communicate with each other. Teachers could post homework to an entire class, or instantly message another teacher, student or their parents. The app had the potential to be expanded as well and we left that open as an option. Now, we just had to write it.

We worked on the ins and outs for another hour, before Kim said she needed to go home soon. The others agreed and started gathering their things.

"Um, guys?" I asked, nervous.

They turned around and looked at me, so I continued, "There's something I wanted to ask..a favour of sorts, but, um, well, maybe you should just...I want to introduce you all to someone."

They seemed intrigued and happily followed me to the lab. Once they entered, Kim said, "Damn dude, you've been holding out on us."

I laughed then looked at my computer and said, "Aime, these are the people I told you about. Would you like to introduce yourself?"

Aime squealed, then said, "Hello, I'm Aime. I will run this home someday. It's a pleasure to meet you. Will you make me a body, so I can pet all the dogs?"

"Aime!" I scolded.

Sandy gasped.

Kim said, "Holy shit."

Ed just narrowed his eyes at the computer.

I turned to them and apologized for her, then explained my plans and also her sadness at not having a body. After rambling on, I gathered up the courage and asked them in a nicer way, what Aime already had.

"I'm in." Ed choked out.

"I don't know. What if she goes all Skynet on us?" Sandy questioned.

Aime spoke up then, "I won't. I swore to Jessica and I meant it."