Spear of Love

Spear of Love

(You know who you are)

What is it like to remember something so vividly that it feels like being continuously stabbed by a spear? Remembering the relationship I was too stupid to realize mattered is. With every passing moment, every creak and whistle, memories flooded through the weak and crumbling wall of defense I tried to put up.

            With just a glance into the freezer as I opened it, the memory of her smile as we sat on the coach together, watching family guy as she playfully held my mouth open with one soft warm hand, forcing a small taste of her sweet cheesecake ice cream on to my tongue as I rolled my eyes in an effort to make her laugh.

            Hearing a knock at the front door, the memory of how we first met ambushed me as I rushed to the door, hoping it she would show her radiant smile as she greeted me with a shy but friendly hello, even spreading out the word to make it sound as if she were saying hay-lo.

            Like an itch, the fall of rain pouring down on the street as I closed the door reminded me of our first trip together and our fated kiss in the warm rain as we waited for a cab near the beach in Waikiki, drenched in soaked clothes but happy beyond belief.

            She was perfect, and as I sat at my desk, ready to focus on my work, the final moments of our time collided in my mind. The memory of her asking for me to spend more time with her and take a break from my work. The hole in my heart that formed after I recognized that although I had been successful, my work only got me so much and so far where as her love showed me the beauty of the world around me.