SC2- Uni

I know they love me, but... Uni looked over his shoulder, already feeling a bit of guilt and regret. This will be better for them. They're so busy, taking care of everyone. They shouldn't have to deal with me too.

He continued running through the forest. There were a lot of forests throughout Comics, and the fact that most of the animals living there were left alone helped the first Anims to develop. Even now, it was the kingdom with the most Anims. And with the fighting throughout the kingdoms...

Uni's parents had both left to help defend Comics when he was just old enough to care for himself. They had left him with the house and enough money to fend for himself. They promised to come back when Comics was safe.

Eventually, the neighbors noticed Uni's situation, and cared for him throughout the year his parents were gone. One family in particular, a group of cats, really took him in and cared for him. And Uni was happy, going to bed each night and looking at the photo of his parents.

After a year had gone by, a small box had shown up in front of Uni's house. He had noticed it later than it had arrived, as he had been spending time at the house of his cat friends to say goodbye to them, as they were moving to the country. He was surprised to find the box there, as no one sent him mail anymore. There was no return address. He eagerly dragged the box inside and tore it open with one of his claws.

Inside was a beautiful art box, with markers, paints, stencils, pastels, and more. It was inside an elaborate cream-colored box with a gold lining. Excited, Uni opened up the note folded inside. And then his excitement faded.

Dear Uni, our wonderful boy, the note read,
It really has been a long time. How have you been doing? Sorry that we left you behind.
We are still fighting to keep Comics from being taken by the others. They would only abuse our home, not cherish it like we do. That's why we have to keep it safe. From those who don't care. From those who would see it as resources and not as the most beautiful land on the continent.
I'm afraid we will never see you again. The battle is tough, even though we are only keeping them out. We were made for peace. Comics was made for peace. Anims were made for peace. So... the ones who can must step up to defend that peace.
Your mother is urging me to get on with it. I guess she's right. As much as I'd like to delay this... It's coming. And we have to be there.
We discovered Riku battle plans to attack our camp tomorrow morning. There's nothing we can do but prepare... and fight. They may say that their robots are made of souls, but that can't be true if all those souls are made for only destruction. So... It's a suicide mission. We win, we die. We lose... we can't lose. But even if we do- we still die.
You- you do realize that... Uni. My wonderful, creative- fine, our wonderful, creative, kind, courageous boy. We are doing this for you. So you can grow up in a land of peace. One where the forests flourish and everyone cares for everyone. I'm sorry that we had to leave you. I'm sorry that this is the way it has to be. But...
Use the art kit to make yourself a life. We've seen your talent. Sell what you make, or give it away, just never give up. We love you so, so much.
-Your mom and dad

Uni broke down, tear stains adding to the ones he hadn't seen before on the paper. He picked up the art box and the note, shoved a few of his belongings into the box, and ran to the cat family, sobbing. After he told them his story, they gladly took him with them to their new cabin in the same woods his family had wished to protect.

It was a really large family. The cat family was taken care of by the two oldest siblings, Catherine and Williker. Their parents had left them to travel around the world, and so the two siblings had to take care of the rest of the family. And again, it was a really big family- They had never really counted the different siblings, and most of them in their old house had most slept in sleeping bags or on the floor. That's why they had moved out into the forest- one of the siblings was going to farm, some others were going to learn to hunt, and with the money they saved by not living in the city, Catherine and Williker were going to buy enough mattresses to fill up a room.

Uni, as thanks for being taken in, tried to help out as much as possible. When he wasn't making art to sell at his own art stand at the market every Sunday (which he suspected people were only buying out of pity), he would learn to use his claws, teeth, and speed to hunt, how to set up and tend to a garden, and how to take care of the others around him. He gave all of the money he had left from his parents to Williker and Catherine, despite their protests. Yet... they were still struggling to survive. Even after Uni gave one of the siblings art classes and they both went out to sell paintings, the money they made still wasn't enough. So Uni, sadly but stubbornly, made a plan.

The next week, he spent the whole week painting, better than he ever had before. He brought in quite a lot of money that next week, and bought a backpack and a lantern. He kept painting with the sibling, Bella, and at the end of the week packed his backpack. He left a note, explaining how he felt like he was too big of a responsibility, how he'll miss them all, and that they shouldn't come after him. He reluctantly left the art set behind, mentioning in the note that Bella should get to keep it, and only took a set of colored pencils, some paper, and the note from his parents with him.

And as the sun rose, Uni ran into the forests stained with the blood of hundreds of warriors, hoping to create a life for himself where he can forget all he's left behind.

And here's Uni's backstory, before he meets Dawn! I got a burst of inspiration, which is why you have chapters published so quickly one after the other. I can't wait to get all these out, but at the same time I never have the time to write them all. Well, whatever. I will do what I can.

-Helena!! >^<