Chapter Twenty Two

By now, she'd grown accustomed to the feeling of dread she woke with every morning - the knowledge of another calander day slipping away weighing heavily on her chest. It was as if a weight had been placed on her covers overnight, pressing her down onto the decadent bed and daring her to try and get up.

Time was not on her side...stubbornly marching forward without her consent.

She knew what needed to be done - the 'right' thing to do - but she was paralyzed by indecision, hoping to squeeze out a few more minutes, a few more seconds of happiness before having to face reality.

But like most addicts, she enabled - each more immediately reaching for her phone to see if there were any messages from Normani.

Much to her pleasure, the girl had been waking up earlier than normal recently - whether it was due to track being finished or school nearing winter break, she didn't know. But it almost felt as if the brunette's schedule was more closely aligning - either by design or sheer luck.

Whatever the reason, she was grateful for it - for it was that little blinking light on her phone that allowed her to take the first true breath of the day, a fix that sent her into an immediate high as she threw the featherweight covers off of her and swung her feet to the floor.

Opening the message, she discovered it was actually a picture. It looked like it had been taken outside the kitchen window in the girl's apartment - of the snow coming down in thick, fluffy flakes. The message accompanying it read 'just like the painting yesterday!' which brought out her laugh in the quiet room.

Standing, she walked over to her own windows and looked outside to find that, just as the picture, snowflakes were falling in droves this morning. The fluttering pieces of white were so condensed, they were obscuring her view of the garden below.

She hadn't even known that it was going to snow today, but then again, she'd been too caught up in her own life to pay much attention to the forecast. But, honestly, she wasn't surprised no one had mentioned anything to her - this looked like it could be a substantial storm, complete with the type of snow that could accumulate in no time.

Tearing her eyes from the winter wonderland under rapid construction outdoors, she typed a quick reply to Normani's message.

'You might have a career in art yet,' she wrote, before following up with a simple, 'What are you going to do today?'

No sooner did she turn her gaze back outside did the phone ring, Normani's name displayed upon the screen.

"Hello?" she asked, curious as to why their text conversation had been abandoned so quickly.

"Hey, Dinah! I didn't feel like texting anymore," the brunette responded.

"We only sent like three texts! I think you just wanted to hear my voice," she teased, smiling when Normani laughed.

"Ahh...you caught me there! You know your voice is like anangels - I've told you that, right?"

"N-no, you've never mentioned that before," she replied, immediately flustered by the offhand comment.

"Oh...well, your voice is like an angels!" the girl proclaimed, giving her no time to respond to the compliment before moving on to the next sentence. " But to answer your question, I have a few things to do over at school today. You want to hang out later?"

"Yes," she replied, the answer instinctive by this point. "How about dinner?"

"You're on! Oh wait, actually...Dinah, I'm officially inviting you to dinner so that I can finally pay."

She grinned at the comment, having listened to several recent complaints that the brunette never got to pay for their meals. Honestly, she wouldn't care at all if she paid for all of their meals, forever...but if it would really make the girl feel better to pay every once ina while, she would certainly oblige.

Do You Believe In Destiny?जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें