Chapter Two

"And the flowers are going to be absolutely stunning- especially if we get a fresh snow the night before!"

Her mother had refused to stop talking about the flowers for the past couple hours- the topic of conversation continuing even to the dining room where the three of them currently sat for dinner.

"Well, can't control the weather dear."

She refrained from rolling her eyes at her father's obvious statement, although he likely wouldn't have noticed from his spot at the very end of the table.Or with his eyes trained to his phone like they always were.

"Dinah, wouldn't it be just gorgeous if it did snow?"

Obediently raising her eyes at the direct question, she forced a pleasant smile.

"Yes, it would be beautiful."

Her mother hummed appreciatively at the validation while going back to her own meal, using her silverware with refinement gleamed only through decades of meticulously planned dinners.

The customary silence descended upon the table once more, broken only by the occasional clink or silverware on china as they continued their meal. Dinah turned her attention back to her own plate, which was still relatively filled with food- her appetite seeming to dwindle along with the temperature outside.

Dinners in their household were always held in the dining room- an enormous area with high ceilings and a singular long, rectangular table. The dining table was made of the most expensive mahogany that could be found, the edges intricately carved by some master craftsman in a remote region of the world. The piece of furniture was giant- big enough to accommodate twenty people, easily. Of course, it was usually only the three of them seated there.

For a family that did little in terms of bonding together, they did manage to eat nearly all their dinners together- a near mandate if in the house at dinnertime. Very rarely was she granted permission to take her dinner in her room- a luxury she saved for the times she was in dire need of a temporary separation.

She'd learned how to navigate dinners and emerge relatively unscathed, but that didn't mean she enjoyed them. The only thing worse than the lifeless conversation was the absence of any conversation entirely- a silence brought upon by having nothing of interest to say to one another.

Recently though, there had been a little more conversation than usual- with her mother wishing to speak of the wedding preparations over a meal.

It had been rather surprising how much interest her mother had in planning the wedding- the woman was approaching it with so much gusto, it would have been easy to mistake it as her own. Honestly, Dinah was surprised she'd been allowed to make the decision on what color the roses should be.

Although, more realistically, her decision had only escaped being vetoed because her mother had agreed with her answer.

But it was probably for the best that her mother took charge of all the planning- because Dinah certainly wasn't interested. If it was left up to her, she would be married at the courthouse with no gown, no flowers, no food, and no guests.

Actually, if it was truly up to her, there would be no wedding at all.

So her mother being in charge worked out for the better. This way, everyone would get what they wanted- everyone except Dinah, of course.

Spearing another tiny potato with her fork and placing it in her mouth, her attention was drawn away from her food when motion at one of the dining room entrances caught her eye. Turning her head a fraction of an inch to better identify the intrusion, she caught sight of a pretty young woman rushing toward the table. She felt a frown threatening to crease her lips but managed to keep her face impassive while she watched the new arrival approach her father's side.