Chapter One

Strolling down a narrow aisle hedged by long, wooden tables on either side, she reached out one hand and lightly brushed it across silky petals and firm green leaves. She liked the way the delicate flowers bowed gently under her touch before springing back to the way they once were- the plants refusing to bend to her whim for very long. Tiny, white name cards in front of each row of potted plants identified the species.

Orchids, lilies, tulips, roses, poinsettias...

With the ceiling arching high above her head and sunlight streaming through the planes of glass, it was warm inside the building, even a little stuffy. Certainly not a comfortable temperature for a person to exist in, but the flowers thrived in the environment- their various colors beautiful enough for a painting while the air was thick with their fragrance.

The store had lived up to its reputation as the best flower shop in Orange County- it seemed that there wasn't a single type of plant, no matter how exotic, that could not be found inside the massive enclosed greenhouse.

Carnations, sunflowers, violets, peonies...

Of course, if they hadn't been deemed the 'best', there was no way she would be here, to begin with. Because, to her mother, only the best would be remotely acceptable. They would never have even set foot inside a sub-par greenery.

Dropping her hand to her side, she turned down the next aisle of plants in pursuit of her mother and the attendant who had been assigned to assist them. The middle-aged woman was babbling on and on about very flower they passed, with her mother listening intently. Each plant was critiqued with a steely gray gaze before a curt shake of the head would move them on to the next contestant.

Neither of the women seemed to care that her attention was elsewhere. They were too busy trying to pick out the perfect flower with the perfect color and the perfect smell- because if it wasn't perfect, the world was likely on the verge of being destroyed by a Hansen sized hissy fit.

It was just as well...she didn't really  care much what flowers were decided upon in the end.

Midway through this aisle, her wandering eyes caught sight of a set of double doors midway through the building. Although closed, these doors were also made of glass, providing a view of the outdoor display area directly beyond. There were several more tables outside, with only a few trays of flowers sitting on them.

"I'm going to go look around," she directed towards the two women in front of her- who either didn't hear her words or didn't care to respond.

Taking silence as acceptance of her departure, she walked over to the door and hesitantly pushed down on the long metal door handle. Finding it was unlocked, she shoved it open and walked outside, allowing the door to swing shut behind her.

The cool autumn air felt like a breath of relief after being in the muggy warehouse for so long. The chill nipped at her hands and cheeks, but she found the feeling to be invigorating rather than unwelcome- the bite of the approaching winter breathing life back into her bones. Glancing around, she found herself on the edge of the store's property, a short metal railing hemming her in on three sides, with the building behind. Directly across the street was the entrance to a small neighborhood park.

Absentmindedly dragging her hand across the few flowers that could survive the cool weather outside, she made her way to the row of wooden tables separating her from the sidewalk. Running her fingers through the leaves of the plants placed directly in front of her, she turned her eyes to the park to watch the people. 

Joggers, walkers, passerby...they all looked like they were having a good day despite the recent onset of cold weather. It had been unseasonably warm until just a few days ago when fall had finally decided to loudly announce its presence. But, regardless of the new chill in the air, everyone seemed to be enjoying the last of their dwindling opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.