Chapter Thirty:"Let's go home"

They say the captain

Goes down with the ship

So, when the world ends

Will God go down with it?

Miss Flack said I still want you back

Yeah, Miss Flack said I still want you
back

BRENDON'S POV:

The whole car ride to Patrick's, Nicole is trying to talk, trying to make things better. Every time she speaks, it reminds me that I might not have her after today, or tomorrow, or whenever things end up happening.

After a long ride, the car finally stops outside of Patrick's house. Zack gets out of the car and greets Patrick as he walks out of the front door of his house.

As I am sobbing to myself, Nicole speaks. I know she is trying to make things better, but I'm not entirely sure that it's helping.

"I um, I love you dad."

I cry harder than I thought I could. Suddenly her door opens and she gets out to talk to Patrick. They exchange a few words until Zack, and only Zack, gets back into the car.

That is when my mind makes me fear for the worst. But I am also stupid enough to express how I feel out loud.

"What are you doing? We aren't leaving without her Zack!"

"She's going to stay with Patrick until we figure this out. Until we do figure things out, she need not know. It will only worry her. And we need to keep her from worrying at all if we can help it. We need to keep her safe."

I just nod my head in reply, realizing that he is correct. Not only if we told her would we put her in danger of her own health. If she finds out she could have a panic attack that could also turn into a seizure. As much as I want to keep my little girl, her health is far more important to me.

We head through the city, my eyes still a watery mess. We eventually make it to the courthouse where I assume that my lawyer is going to tell us what is going on and what is going to happen. His name is Kevin and he's been my lawyer for as long as I can remember. He helped me when we first got started and I didn't know how to handle the press.

"Hey Brendon. How have you been man."

"Cut the shit. You see exactly how I've been. It's hard not to tell." I snap from all the pressure.

I immediately feel guilty about snapping at him and shoot him an apologetic glance. He receives this with a confirming nod signaling  that he understood.

"So, Kevin. What is happening?"

"Well, the state wants to take Nicole back. But they can't do anything without fair trial so we have that much time to bring all the evidence forth that could save her."

"Well she's my daughter and I intend on keeping it that way."

"I know Brendon. We all want the best for her and we all want to keep her around. Now, is there anything that we can use against the state and any points that need to be made to the judge?"

"Well there are a couple of things that they could have on me but it's nothing too bad. I also think that it's time to tell Nicole what's going on because she's holding onto something that we need to know about. And we need to know now." I stand up and walk out of the office to get some air. That's when I get a phone call from Patrick.

"Yes? Is she okay? What's wrong?" I say quickly in a panic because she was supposed to be there until tomorrow or later.

"Well me and Pete were in the studio and when we came back up Nicole was asleep on the couch so we decided not to wake her and let her sleep. Then we went into the kitchen to get some food and stuff and all of the sudden we-" he's interrupted by Nicole's loud screams. "-we hear that. Nicole has been screaming in her sleep for at least 10 minutes and we can't wake her up."

His voice got shaky. He was obviously shaken up from this along with being worried about her.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what to do Bren. I-"

"It's perfectly fine Patrick. I think it would be best if she came home anyway. I'll be there as soon as I can."

30 minutes later we just pulled up in front of Patrick's house. I'm stuck in my seat. Frozen. You can hear her screaming from outside.

It's not that I don't want to help her. Trust me I want to. I'm just not sure I can go in there without breaking down.

I'm tired, my eyes are stinging and my face is tear stained. I don't think I could do this. Hence why I am frozen in place.

Zack finally get tired of this and breaks the ice.

"Brendon. You are a grown man. That is your daughter. Go in there and wake her up and save her from whatever is haunting her dreams. That's what your supposed to do. I know this is hard but we can't really waste anytime with her, we don't know how much time we have left."

I went to object, but quickly closed my mouth. I knew he was right. So I swallowed what ever this feeling was, because it definitely wasn't pride, and walked up to Patrick's front door. The screams only got louder and my anxiety only got higher. I began to twist a ring that was on my right hand, I habit I formed while on tour over the years.

I knock on the door and Pete answers looking pretty flustered and shaken. Obviously Nicole has an effect on all of us. Not just me. Though I knew if she got hurt or if anything happened to her, me and Josh would be the worst affected.

When I come in Nicole is still asleep and her screaming had subsided to silent cries.

I walk over to her and shake her shoulder to try and wake her up which makes her scream. I ignore this and shaker again and talk to her.

"Nicole? Nicole? Come on it's time to go home."

She wakes up and I fill her in on why I'm taking her home tonight. She tells me about her dream and we hug for a moment before I pick her up and carry her to the car. Saying quiet thanks to Patrick and Pete noticing, she had already passed out again in my arms.

I got troubled thoughts

And the self-esteem to match

What a catch, what a catch

And all I can think of

Is the way I'm the one

Who charmed the one

Who gave up on you

Who gave up on you

//What A Catch Donnie - Fall Out Boy//

(A/N: yo. M A N I A Is out. Go listen to it.

Also Nicole will have to talk about her brother? Or about the conditions at the home? Let me know what you think!!!

Much love ❤️

Xx)l

1201 words