Chapter One: The Way It Started

A pretty picture but the scenery is so loud

A face like heaven catching lighting in your nightgown

But back away from the water, babe, you might drown

The party isn't over tonight

NICOLE'S POV:

Today is adoption day. An open day where people can come and see us kids and get to choose who they would like to adopt. Adoption days are on every other Tuesday and Thursday. Being 13 years old, I get ignored, no one wants to adopt someone who has already been raised. Even if they did I wouldn't know, I stay in the loft of my room and listen to music. I usually listen to 1 of 3 artists, Machine Gun Kelly, Billie Ellish, or Post Malone.

This time I fell asleep listening to Billie Ellish. The next morning I was woken up by the house's foster mom, Sandra. I don't care for her that much, but she's tolerable. She tells me that breakfast is done to come to eat. I quickly go to the bathroom to change. I put on a Machine Gun Kelly t-shirt, some faded black skinny jeans that have a stressed hole in the right knee with an intentional hole on the opposite thigh, and some faded red knock-off Vans. I spend all the money I ever get on Artist shirts and merch. I can deal with knock-off shoes if I can still get the shirts and merch that I want.

I go down to eat and I honestly just want to go back to the loft in my room and listen to my music. I hate even being in Sandra's presence. "Can I excuse myself?" I ask Sandra, hoping she says yes just so she doesn't have to deal with me. "Under what circumstances?" she replies very sarcastically. "I don't want to be down here." say with the same sarcastic tone. I don't really feel the need to respect her. She does the exact opposite to us.

She waves her hand, not even looking at me, towards the staircase that leads to the children's rooms. The one I share with another little girl, who is about 6 years old, is the only one in the hallway that hides all the other rooms' start. There is a banister that runs all the way to the wall that starts the hallway. From my door, I can see the "living room". I say that with quotes because that's where Sandra tells us we can hang out. She says we aren't allowed anywhere but our "living room", in the backyard, and our rooms and bathrooms. The rest of the house is her's. That's one reason I don't like her.

Hey

Where will you be waking up tomorrow morning?

Hey

Out the back door goddamn but I love her anyway (hey)

I love her anyway (hey)

Out the back door goddamn but I love her anyway.

// Miss Jackson - Panic! At The Disco//
·
·
·
(A/N: I've never written fanfic. I just wanted to try please don't be upset if I don't finish this whole story. And yes. I know that this chapter is short. But oh well. They get longer.)

540 words.