Chapter 7: Naughty Girl

Tap that VOTE and leggo!

Normani's POV

Nowadays, whenever I felt sad or frustrated, I found my booty popping automatically on its own to release negative energy.

Yup. My dance partner was a bad influence all right. And speaking of my dance partner, every time I thought of her, the dormant butterflies in my stomach woke up. Whereas before, I used to dread seeing her, nowadays, I couldn't wait. What was happening? I'd even started hanging with her group of friends during our dance classes. But I was more keen on hanging out with her one-on-one and counted down the days till our next rehearsal, where I could have her all to myself.

Finally, after what felt like ages, even though it was only a week, it was time for our next rehearsal. And I couldn't wait, especially since Dinah was coming over for dinner after. I arrived half an hour early out of pure excitement. But the longer I waited alone in the dance studio, the more nervous I got for some reason. So, since there was still 20 minutes before Dinah came, I played some Beyoncé on YouTube and started booty popping to release my nervous energy.

I was hanging upside down on the wall, shaking my booty vigorously, when a voice said, "Normani Kordei Hamilton! What are you doing goofing off to that rambunctious music?"

Panicking, I slipped onto the floor and found Dinah staring at me in amusement. My heart hammered with embarrassment—and something else that I couldn't identify—at the sight of her and I stammered, "I-I...uhm...I was just...uh...passing the time."

"Passing the time, huh? When we have a showcase to practice for? Tsk Tsk," Dinah said in amusement, mocking me.

"Haha, very funny."

"So this is what you do before I show up," Dinah sniggered teasingly, offering me her hand.

I rolled my eyes and took her hand to pull myself up, saying, "Why're you here so early anyway? We still have 10 minutes till rehearsal."

"I thought I'd try to impress you, since you're making me dinner later. But I didn't know I was gonna be the one impressed," Dinah smirked, "You are a twerk queen, Normani. A master booty bender."

"Really? You think my butt skills are that impressive?"

"Your butt skills are outta this world, Manz. And so's your butt," Dinah winked, slapping my ass playfully and making me shudder, "Anyway, let's get stretchin'!"

After rehearsal, Dinah and I went to my dorm. We were eating my special pasta dinner—which Dinah loved so much that she got second helpings of as soon as she finished her first round—when my roommate, Lauren, came in.

"Hey Lo! Meet Dinah Jane. And Dinah, meet Lauren," I said as Lauren approached our table.

"So, you're the annoying dance partner that Mani won't shut up about?" Lauren asked, making me glare at her.

"Aww ManManz! You talk about me?" Dinah asked, wrapping her arm around me affectionately.

"Uh, did you hear the 'annoying' part?" Lauren asked.

"Yeah, but I know ManManz secretly loves me. Why else would she keep talking about me?" Dinah said playfully.

"Don't be ridiculous. I don't love you," I said defensively as a blush rose to my cheeks. "I tolerate you."

"See what I mean, Ralph?" Dinah said.

"Ralph?" Lauren and I asked together.

"Ralph? Like Ralph Lauren?" Dinah said, "I like giving people nicknames. Adds to the love, ya feel?"