Chapter 16

"A little mistake? Your suppose to be keeping it low." 

"I just lost it okay?" I huff and flop onto the sofa. "Charlotte deserves better than to be forced into marriage." 

"This isn't about Charlotte. This is about you." 

"What are you talking about?" I turn to her. 

"Your angry and your missing your family. Now you have a way to leave your letting it all out. Yes you were wrongly brought here and you act as though you hate Carter but you don't." I go to argue but she doesn't give me a chance. "Don't lie I know you have feelings for him, you might even love him if you let yourself." 

"I can't. Nina I can't love him." 

"That doesn't mean you don't. His not a bad guy, he needs straightening out and you can do that for him. You can change this entire world, bring peace to both worlds and keep the balance." 

"What if I'm not enough? What if I fail? This isn't like taking a test or learning history, if I fail people get hurt. What if they die? That's on my hands and I can't take that." 

"Stop worrying about the ifs and the buts. You cannot control them so don't let them control you." 

"I know. I just need to work things out." 

"Then let me leave you to do that. I'm going to sort some things out, you rest up for tomorrow." She leaves and I remain where I am on the sofa.

*

The next morning I am up early and dressed ready for the day ahead. Tonight we collect the remainder of the resources we need to get back to our world. I will come back. My decision is made.

I begin collecting my things when Nina comes through the door. She is grinning, it's scary. I stare at her until she reveals two staffs. One is black and the other is white. She throws me the white one and I catch it. It's a good length.

"Check this out." She taps the top of her staff and it shrinks.

I do the same to mine and it shrinks. "Awesome."

"So the only thing that's left is the stone."

I nod, "I'll get it tonight."

"Then we meet by the stables. Go during dinner that's went Alias goes for his walk."

"Alright. It's a plan."

She smiles and I return it. "Are you thinking what I am?" I nod and we both tap our staffs.

*

After changing and preparing for tonight I pack myself a bag. The door opens and I turn to see Carter standing there. "Hi."

"Hey."

"Can we talk?" He closes the door.

"What about?" I question.

He comes towards me, "about what happened yesterday with Charlotte."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled until after I knew all the facts."

"At least your honest about it." He laughs.

"Look I'm still pissed at this kidnapping and all of that. I just...."

"I didn't come here to yell at you. I came here to tell you I changed my mind because of you. I was going to ask Charlotte to marry him but then I thought what would you do?"

"Well I'm glad you changed your mind."

"So am I." He moves even closer. "I know you don't believe me but I'm trying. I will show you, just give me some more time..." I pull him close, pressing my lips onto his. His shocked for a moment before wrapping his arms around and applies his own pressure into the kiss. I forgot how amazing his kisses are.