One Big Family

Opening his mouth, Max wanted to say something to comfort Gidget. However, no words could come forth. He had no idea what to say. She just lost her father, say something you fool! he scolded himself silently. Biting his lip, the small glared at his paws.

Just then, a mournful yet bizarre howl rose above the silence. Glancing around, Max couldn't see which one of the dogs had started it. However, a whole bunch of his friends, pets and strays alike, had gathered in the small alleys. And they were all looking up. Following their gaze, Max saw a truly queer sight.

A lonely crow, perched on the railing of a fire escape, had her head tipped back and was trying to howl. Pausing, she gazed down at the group sympathetically, a message written in her golden eyes. Then she returned back to howl. But she wasn't alone this time. Norman and Tiberius lent their voices as well.

Understanding the message, Duke joined in, followed by Chloe and Pops. A heartbeat later, Mel, Buddy, and Leonard howled in harmony, backed up by Sweetpea as the parakeet tried howling. Glancing at each other, Snowball and Ozone led the Flushed Pets and Alley Cats into the chorus of howls as well. Before long, the small alley was filled with howling animals.

A family that howls together, stays together... Max thought quietly, finally understanding. Glancing back up, he noticed that the crow had left. Taking a deep breath, the small dog howled with all of his heart. A moment later, Gidget and Linda joined him as the animals howled their grief for Rocky.