Sunrise Eyes

The stranger crept silently across the branch, her eyes never leaving her prey. She was following a rodent that she believed was called a guinea pig as it surprisingly came upon the very same pond she had fished out her guest. The guinea pig looked down at the surface, as if he was in deep thought. I always wondered what guinea pig tasted like, the stranger told herself, poising to strike.

Before she could swoop down and grab her snack, however, a group of animals came out of the undergrowth and surrounded the guinea pig. So much for a small snack, the stranger thought angrily, turning to leave. But then she heard a fat tabby whisper to the guinea pig, "Norman, let's go. It's getting late," Astonished, the stranger didn't stick around for much longer once she heard that name.

Norman is a guinea pig?! How does this hawk know a guinea pig's name?! the stranger asked herself as she alighted on a branch. Quietly, she walked over to her guest, who was sleeping at the time. One look at the hawk told the stranger that he was in no condition to fly. Gently, she picked him up and placed him on the ground with great care. "Your friend Norman is here," she whispered to the hawk. Though he opened one eye, he didn't respond.

Sunrise eyes... the hawk observed thoughtfully, staring at the stranger's golden eyes. She seemed to be speaking to him but he couldn't hear a single word. His head was ringing with pain. Slowly, the stranger stroked the hawk's head soothingly, saying something to him. I must be dying. Why else would this be happening? he thought quietly to himself.

"Good luck to you, my friend," the stranger whispered to the hawk. She gazed at his light brown eye, wanting to remember this day. Backing away from the hawk, she tipped her head towards the blue sky. Taking a deep breath, she let out an ear splitting shriek.