Chapter 23: The Past Shreds Tears

I open my eyes just enough to see the outline of Devon's body and I open my mouth. "Tell me a story." I mutter. "Tell me a story about you."

His head moves and he looks me in the eye. "You wanna hear a story about me?"

"Mm-hm."

Devon smiles a little bit and he laughs quietly under his breath. "Okay." He scratches the back of his neck and sits on the couch-I'm guessing he's thinking. "When I was 9, I was riding my bike down this empty looking street and I was steering off. I lost control of my bike and drove right into a telephone pole."

I giggle a little, even though I shouldn't, but I don't care. I'm halfway between sleep and reality.

"So, I ended up breaking my leg. There wasn't anyone around so I was screaming bloody murder in case anyone could hear me. Finally someone found me and brought me to the hospital."

"Oh man." I say as I look at him, "So you are okay?"

"Yea. I wouldn't be here today telling you the story if I wasnt." He'd smile and lightly laugh.

"Tell me another story...a longer one. I want to know you more. You intrigue me." I say as I move getting comfortable.

"I never really told anyone this but....." he paused, probably hoping I was sleeping by now. But I wasn't. So he took a deep breath and continued, "I went riding to town with my mom and everything was going fine....until she met up with a guy. I was eight at the time. So I figured the guy was just her friend. No big deal. But it was more than that. He pulled me out of the car and threw me on the ground. My mom screaming loudly. I layed on the ground sort of lifeless but I wasn't dead. And....." he stopped, taking a deep breath and getting ready to continue

"Oh my god!" I yell, waking myself up. I shoot up from his lap a few inches, but he presses me back down. "What else did he do!?"

"He-he.." I think I see Devon tearing up but he blinks them away before they can leave his eyes. "He raped my mother and then killed her."

Tears start to stream down my face and suddenly, I understand why Devon is so protective.

He doesn't want to lose me.

I sit up slowly and embrace Devon in the most emotional hug I think we've ever had. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." I whisper over and over again in his ear.

"Promise me nothing bad will happen to you ever again." he whispers back. "Promise me."

"I promise. As long as you're with me, I'll be safe."

"I will never leave you. And you young lady..." He stops and puts his forehead against mine. "You'll never leave my sights. I can't lose you. I care deeply about you." He says and moves his head enough to kiss my cheek.

"Not even to go to the bathroom??" I ask sarcastically and jokingly, trying to cheer him up but he only lightly smiles.

"Not even to go to the bathroom." He chimes in, and my expression drops.

"You're joking...right?" I ask him, falling right into his trap.

"Possibly." he says with a smirk on his face. "But I have to make sure you come back."

"Fine." Joy floods through me at the thought that with Devon, I'll be safe.

His expression turns serious all of a sudden and he moves his head back. He pats his lap, gesturing for me to lie back down. "You need to get your sleep."

"I don't want to now." I reply truthfully. I really don't want to sleep.

"No. You need sleep. You need sleep for you and....." he places his hand on my belly, "Her or possibly him." He says and I give in.

"Fine." I say, and lay back down placing my head on his lap, "but I won't fall asleep."

"Just try, baby. For me?" He begs and lays his hands on my belly amd looks into my eyes, "For the baby?"

"Fine. I'll try but I'm not making any promises." He smiles as I'm being truthful. I close my eye's and relax letting my thoughts take over my mind.

My head becomes cloudy with mental images of Devon and I start to drift off towards sleep out of nowhere.

"I love you." I mutter.

"I love you-" Devon says, but is cut off as I drift into a dreamless sleep.