Chapter 17: Never Let Me Go

Destiny's POV:

A tear starts to form in my eye and before it can start to run down my cheek, I rub it away with the heel of my palm. Devon could die. He almost did...twice. He could almost die again and next time, he might not survive.

"I-I" I mumble, trying to find the words that will express what I feel like inside. "What do those people want from you? Money? Power? Strength? Why do they hate you? Why is everyone trying to destroy us?" I press my forehead into Devon's bed and stare at the floor, watching tears drip down my face.

I think I hear a muffled groan, but I know that Devon can't be awake. He can't be. Not right now, anyway.

I look back up at Devon looking like a train wreck. "I love you." I say. "Please be okay. Please wake up and say it. Please..."

I knew it wasn't possible for him to but I wanted him too. I wanted to see his sparkling eyes again and his sinister smirk whenever he tries to fool me by doing something. I wanted to hear him say I was beautiful but it wasn't possible. Right now. It just wasn't.

I sank my head back into his bed, and pressed it deeply into the bed. I just wanted to cry.

What if...what if I lose him? What if he sinks into a never ending sleep and can never be woken? What if....

I couldn't finish my train of thought because I heard a moan again only it seemed to get louder and this time only words followed it.

"Destiny. I love you too..." someone says and when I shoot my head up off of the bed, Devon is lying in the bed with his eyes open a little bit and a smile spread across his face.

Disobeying the doctor's orders, I grab Devon's hand and lean down and kiss him on the cheek. "Please don't leave me." I whisper into his ear. "My whole world would shatter without you."

"I promise I won't." he says, then moves his head, so he's kissing me on the lips. He smells clean like the hospital he's in, but there's a hint of smoke from the explosion still in his shaggy hair.

I kiss him back and we fall into silence- a world that me and Devon rule, by ourselves, where love is eternal. I back away after a minute and remember that the doctor also told me to buzz the nurse when he woke up. I don't want anyone disturbing us. I just want to be alone with Devon- the person who I've fallen head over heels for.

I didnt want doctors to come in and do treatments on him. I really just wanted him to myself.

No one else could have him! Because I just wanted him to be mine.

Sighing I took his hand one last time lightly and kissed his lips savoring every moment. The doctors were going to find out that he was awake soon enough and I knew I had to tell them. I reached over grabbing the cord the button was on and pressed it. Sending the doctors the signal that he was awake.

I heard a few muffled yells outside and three nurses and the doctor came in as I backed away from Devon.

"He woke up not even a minute ago." I say, telling some of the truth.

"Okay." the doctor says. He looks down at Devon and at his monitors. "You're stable." He smiles at Devon, pats his shoulder lightly and then looks at me. He explains to me that I can now touch him and everything, even though I already have without his permission.

The doctor and the nurses leave the room and me and Devon are alone again, free to tell each other how much we love each other without anyone judging us.

"I still love you." I say with a giggle.

"And I still love you." he replies back. "Maybe even a little more now."