Chapter 8: Running Away From It All

We kept driving and driving and I know almost every corner of my town and surrounding towns, but I had no idea where we were. "Devon? Where are we?" I ask with my face still smashed up against the passenger's seat window.

"I don't know." He says nervously. "The other guys never told me."

"Maybe we should pull over and find a map or something." I say then turn my head to look at Rachel and Molly in the back of the van. "Rachel, do you have your phone?"

"No." She says while petting Molly. "I think they took it away and smashed it."

"How about you Devon?"

"It's in my back pocket." he says then looks down at his pants.

“Can I see it? Maybe I can use it and find out where exactly we are.” I ask, and he lifts up enough to pull his cell phone out of his back pocket. He hands it to me, without thinking about all the secrets he had kept from me on his phone.

I click the side button and the screen lights up. “This is it. Just find the map on this, and we’ll be free.” I think, and flip through the screens on the phone. Trying to find the map app, I only seemed to find the text messages between him and his boss.

Reading through them one last time, I began to realize I had trusted Devon sooner than I should’ve. He hit, and abused me and here I was, trusting him as if he never did anything wrong. For all I knew, he could have been using me.

I think about everything that’s happened one last time, and then I yelled, grabbing the door handle, “Stop the car!”

“W-what, why?” He asked, looking at me, and still trying to keep his attention on the road.

“Stop the car, or I’ll jump out whether you stop this car or not.”

“Destiny, what’s wrong?” Rachel asks from the back of the van.

I chucked his cell phone at Rachel’s lap, “that’s what’s wrong!”

Devon pulled over to a vacant looking house, and I yanked the car door open. I got out and ran far away from him as possible. With tears flying behind me, I didn’t look back. Not once.

He ran after me, and kneeled down at my side, when I sat on the ground. I placed my hands over my eyes, and continued to sob.

“Destiny just let me explain.” He held his wounded arm with his other hand, and tried to get me to look at him.

I kept my hands over my eyes, and let every tear pour out of me. “There’s nothing to explain! You…you used me.” I said, and then brought my head up, removing my hands from my eyes, to make eye contact with him for just one minute. “Tell me the truth. Were you or were you not, going to take us to your boss from the start?”

Glancing back and forth, from one eye to the other, I knew he didn’t know what to say. His eyes only held secrets. Secrets he wasn’t ready to share. “I knew it.” I said, while getting up.

I began to walk away a minute later, when he reached out and grabbed my hand. Now standing up, he tried to look me in the eyes, but I wouldn’t let him. Not this time. “Yes. Okay, yes I did plan on taking you guys to my boss…” He said but I only cut him off.

“I knew it. You bastard!” I shook my head in disbelief, “You…you made me fall for you. Gosh, I fell for you and I-I just can’t believe this. I knew it.” Tears fell down my face, the more I admitted how I felt. The truth, I knew it. I knew he wouldn’t change. No matter how much I wanted him to change. I guess, that just never happened, and I was stupid enough to think it did.

“Let me finish.” He turned my face to his, cupping his hands to my cheeks. He looked into my eyes, and then when he made sure he had my attention, he continued. “Okay, yes that was the plan, but then… then I got to know you. I met a side to you that I never seen in any girl. You got to believe me. I changed the plans when they made me hit you with that whip. I knew I had to get you away from them. They planned on killing you, and…” He graced his hand alongside my face, giving me a gratifying feeling. “I couldn't let that happen. I never knew love existed until I got to know you.”

"But why would you do such a thing to begin with?!" I yell so loud that I hear Molly barking in the distance. "You planned all of that, and then you just change your mind! You're sick!!!!!" I barge off back to the van, hop in the driver's seat, pull the gun out and point it at Devon's head.

"What are you doing!!??" He yells stepping closer.

"I'm getting away from you!!!" I yell placing my pointer finger on the trigger. "I will shoot you."

I turn the keys in the ignition put my feet on the pedals and drive away steadily keeping the gun still pointed at the traitors head.

I wasn't really going to pull the trigger. I wanted to, but something held me back. When I lost all sight of him, I put the gun back into the glove compartment.

"Destiny, you can't keep doing this." Rachel said, and climbed into the passenger seat by me.

"Doing what?" I ask, trying to pretend like I don't know what she's talking about.

"This. You driving away from your problems, because you’re too scared to face them." I didn't look at her, but I could feel her eyes piercing into my soul. She knew me better than I knew myself. Whether that was possible or not, she did. Then she continued, "That guy you left back there, he loved you and whether you want to admit it or not I know you felt the same way for him. You and I both know that you could point that gun at him, but you'd never pull the trigger."

"Shut up, Rachel! He's now the past and this is the present. We don't need him...I...I don't need him."

I keep on driving, ignoring what Rachel is telling me. Still knowing that we're lost and could never return home, I make a U Turn back to where I left Devon.

After about another half of a mile, I find him walking the dirt rode I’m on kicking rocks in his way.

I pull over and get out of the van. "Devon!" I yell and when he turns around, I back up and fall to the ground from a rock sticking out of the ground.

"What are you doing!!??" I yell at him because he's holding a gun in his hand.

"What I am meant to do." He says clearly furious.

"Devon, please. You can't do this!" He drawn the gun on me, and all I wanted to do was finally express how I felt towards him.

"Oh and why not?" He asked, raising his eyebrow. He was intrigued to hear my answer, but was still furious when I threatened to shoot him. "You got to the count of three. One...two..." He counted down, and cocked his gun when saying 'two'. "Thr..."

"Because I love you!" I hollered clasping my hands over my mouth after the words escaped. I felt as though someone had taken over my body and forced me to say it. Did I mean those words? I must of. I mean, why else would they come out of my mouth?

He slightly smirked, and I could feel an eerie presents when he came closer. The gun was still focused on me, but lowered down more this time.

When he reached me, he bent down beside me and took the front of the gun and graced the strands of hair that dangled in my face with it. I gulped, and he softly said, while containing his anger, "you mean that?"

I looked over at Rachel, who was still sitting in the passenger seat of the car, and noticed that she didn't realize what was happening. Her eyes were closed, and the glimpse of what looked like headphones dangled in her ears. I take a deep breath, and glance back at Devon and get ready to speak the truth. No matter how good or bad it was I let it all pour out.