Chapter 1: Speeches and a Stranger

I can do this. Calm down. They're going to call my name any minute and I'll have to walk up there in front of everyone. My palms began to sweat, and my whole body began to shake thinking about all this. Oh god, I can't do this. Not right now. They're all going to look at me. Why? Why did I have to volunteer to go in front of everyone to speak? I thought I'd have enough confidence to speak in front of everyone, but now seeing all these people I was going to be sick. I try to calm my nerves by breathing deeply, but I’m too nervous to do anything. I wipe my forehead and stumble onto the stage making a big fool of myself. A few people in the crowd laugh, but I try and block them out so I can enjoy my freedom from high school. Freedom was one thing I wanted the most, now it's time to ditch this high school. "It's just one speech, I can do this." I mumbled reassuring myself. Then I cleared my throat, grabbing the diploma the teacher gave me, and walked up to the stand to prepare for my speech.

I think about what I should stay out of nowhere and the speech just rolls off my tongue. "I want to thank all of my teachers for getting me this far. Without them, I don't know where I’d be. I would also like to thank my friends and family with all of their help when I was struggling. Thank you." I strode off of the stage trying not to make eye contact with anyone who tries to get my attention. I take my seat in the audience while I watch all of the other graduates give their unprepared speeches and their hopes and dreams. I listen, but all the speeches start to bore me, and I completely zone out. 

When coming back into reality, I feel a guy tap me on the shoulder, trying to get my attention while others rose from their seats. I gaze up, lights shining me in my eyes, and notice an attractive guy start to talk. What am I saying? He was drop dead gorgeous, but why did he want to talk to me?

"Hi...." I say with a shaky voice. My cheeks turn rose pink and I start to flutter my eyes in a very unattractive way. "What's your name?"

"Uhhh...Devon." He says, feeling awkward about it, he finally asks, "would you maybe want to go out with me, Friday night?"

"Um...." I say nervously. "I don't even really know you."

"We could get to know each other. You’re very beautiful, and I'd really want to get to know you, and let you get to know me." He smiles, and takes my hand up, kissing it lightly while starring his dashing blue eyes at me.

I giggle and allow the stranger to comment me in all of these odd ways. "Wow. You're the manliest man I’ve ever met."

"Why, thank you." Devon said, while placing my hand back down. "So, how about it? You. Me, Friday night?" I snapped out of my girlish ways, and realized I was picking up on some bad vibes with this guy. Something about him, didn't feel right. Was it how he was instantly commenting me? Or maybe the flirtatious ways he was doing? I wasn't sure, but instantly see his friends were checking me out as well.

I try and look in the other direction to avoid contact with the boys staring at me weirdly and think of a way to let this stranger down easy. "Maybe another time." I say trying not to hurt his feelings. "I've got more important things on my mind. And one of them isn't a boyfriend."

He looks at me with a disappointed look, then under his breath I hear him say something but I shake it off, and walk the other way. I try and rearrange my thoughts from the conversation I just had. There is something weird about that kid. The way he looked at me..... the way he was.... obsessed with me. Who is he?

Did I know him? Something about him seemed extremely off, and then his friends staring at me was like I was the only one they wanted to keep their attention on. But why was that? I know I'm not the prettiest girl in the room, so why would they be looking at me?

I know that they aren't just "attracted" to me. It's something more, I know it is. But somehow, I can't figure out what that is. It's like they are there every second of everyday. It’s an odd feeling. An odd feeling that I know must be true.

I try shaking it off during the graduation, and then when it's all over I walk home, feeling the sense that someone was watching me every second. I don't like that feeling. I never did. I just hate the feeling of uncomfort and whenever I go through it, I can't get it out of my head for days.

That's when I hear a ruffle of leaves behind me, and hear footsteps. I jump, scared out of my wits, and I turn around only to see......