Chapter 28: Coraene

"We are way out of our element." Anna whispers to me as we follow the Queen to our new quarters.

"Hey, look at it this way, we'll be well fed here." I wink at her.

"That's true, that's true."

"Cora?" The Queen adresses me directly.

"Yes, my Lady?"

"Call me Zephrine, please. I've never cared much for titles. I assume you'll be in the same chambers as Eetu?"

"We hadn't discussed it..." I confess.

"Oh, well that's alright. You're welcome to sleep wherever you like. Both of you." Zephrine rubs her side slightly.

"Are you okay?" Anna asks.

"An old battle scar. Both Xavier and I have them. His is more obvious, though." Zephrine pulls open a pair of doors taller than all three of us. Inside is a bed bigger than I've ever seen before. Pastel blue blankets and white pillows, with a matching blue canopy above. I can't believe that this is what my new life is going to be like.

"I had the same reaction when I arrived here." Zephrine notices the way I react to the new environment. "It's a little overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it."

"We can't thank you enough for your hospitality, my Lady." Anna and I nod our thanks.

"Nonsense, Anna. Any friend of Caspian's is a friend of ours. I'll see to it that you get a nice warm bath, you two go across the hall to my closet and pick out a few dresses."

Anna and I do as she says, and we're immediately overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude.

"You're the seamstress here. Which one do you think would suit me?" Anna crosses her arms and looks to me.

"Well, none of these would fit us, but I could make some alterations." I choose a gold colored one and hold it up to Anna. It contrasts beautifully with her deeper skin tone, bringing out her wonderfully hazel eyes. "Oh, yes, girl! This one's yours!"

"Which one are you going for?"

"Hmmm..." I flip through a few before I find one that absolutely catches my eye. It's a black piece that seems to be supported by the biceps, with golden accents along the skirt and chest piece.

"Oh my god, it's beautiful! You should totally go with that one."

"Alright, girls! Your baths have been drawn!" Zephrine appears in the door. "Have you chosen your dresses?"

"Yes, my Lady. Thank you so much!" I clutch mine close to my chest. "The quality is fantastic! What kind of fabric was used on this? And the embroidery!"  I find myself rambling about dress making and quiet down.

"Cora, what was your job before you met Eetu?"

"I was a seamstress." I blush a little. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get so excited."

"No, no. It's good that you get excited. It means you're passionate about what you do. And Anna? What did you do before meeting Caspian?"

"I'm a blacksmith." Anna states proudly, but shrinks back a little. She's used to people poking fun at a female smith.

"Both incredibly important jobs. I'll tell you what, Cora, I'll gather as much fabric and thread as you wish and you can go absolutely wild on your wedding dress. And Anna, some of the knights' armor needs repairing. You up for the challenge?"